PDA

View Full Version : Point Reyes Report 11-9-07

Anne Vitale
11-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Went out to Drake's Beach to fish the last two hours of the outgoing. My main reason for going was to see if the big perch were back to start their winter spawn. The answer is a resounding NO. I fished it hard without a single strike. The beach is still featureless from the summer and so it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Every wave looked like the next.

Although it was absolutely beautiful, the whole setting was ominous. I knew the oil spill was just down the beach and heading north. The water was full of birds. Refugees from the spill. :( .......Anne

http://www.avitale.com/DrakesBeach1.jpg

http://www.avitale.com/DrakesBeach2.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-09-2007, 10:56 PM
What a beautiful place...thanks Anne

jhaquett
11-10-2007, 12:26 AM
That oil spill is pretty upsetting. :?

I'll be honest though I am much less worried about the sea gulls as I am the sea lions and seals :oops:

Hairstacker
11-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Beautiful pictures Anne! For me, fish are always a bonus in a setting like that, where you get to stand in the surf, feel the rhythmic tugging of the waves around your legs, and face the beauty and vastness of the sky and open ocean with nothing else in front of you. Feels like a vaction just being there. All you surf folks know what I'm talking about. I'm sure you'll get 'em next time. :)

SteelieD
11-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Anne, I am dreadfully sorry to hear of the oil spill. Looks and sounds like a mess. Hopefully mother nature will do her thing and clean it up quick.

I love the pictures. That is such a pristine part of the world!

Mr. Noodle Rod
11-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the report Anne. I really enjoyed the photos - seems like I'm actually there! Jeez, I was really bummed to find out about the oily mess after being away from the Bay Area for a little over a week. I fished a few hours yesterday at Kehoe - fortunately, I didn't find any tar balls in the surf or on the beach that far north, though the salad was quite thick. Stinson was still closed as I drove up Hwy 1. I don't know if Drake's & Limantour Beaches have opened yet.

- Mark