PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Boat and Gas Outboard?

flyflotr
11-09-2007, 05:19 PM
I have an 9 foot long Outcast Pontoon Boat that I was considering putting a 2 hp gas outboard on . Has anyone any practical experience with something similar? The motor weighs just under 30 lbs. I have used a trolling motor on the pontoon boat, and that works well but the battery is good for only about 1 1/2 days of fishing if I want to move around a lot. This is a problem when I am camping.

Thanks for the input

Reno Flytyer
11-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I've got the same pontoon & would be curious to know what kind of battery gives you a day and a half of use? But, with regard to your question and after thinking about it, my concerns would be the potential damage of getting gas on the pontoons and being restricted on some waters that won't allow gas engines. Also, and because I don't have experience with a motor like this, I wonder how it would troll...I often times troll from one spot to another. Other than that, I don't see an issue with the weight of the motor, 30# is less than most batteries. You'd certainly win the pontoon races :lol: . Not having the battery leaves more room for beer too. I'd be interested in hearing what you come up with. I'm sure too, seeing as though you have had the electric on it, that you've had it registered.
RFT

matooka
11-29-2007, 12:29 PM
I use to own an Outcast HD 1100 and used a Honda 2HP Four Stroke Long Shaft on the back. I used it on the Lower Sac. It worked great getting me upstream from the Posse launch ramp...don't expect more than that on a big river. It worked wonders getting me through frog water or getting me to the next fishable stretch of water. I also used it at San Luis Forebay. The 1/2 liter self integrated tank lasted all day! You'll have to move the frame further forward on the pontoons when using the motor for optimum pontoon performance. Also, bring along extra blade pins and a file to smooth down the plastic propeller as the long shaft is vulnerable to the river bottom. I sold the 1100 and purchased a jet sled. I didn't like the set up and take down of the Outcast.