PDA

View Full Version : Mahi-mahi, so good they named it twice

mems
11-09-2007, 12:13 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/PB080108.jpg
Aloha the winter mahi are here. I went out today and tried out the new TFO baby bluewater 10wt rod. I got this nice mahi at first light and then proceeded to have a field day on small tuna. Don't worry I threw all mine back. It was a great morning and we were back at the dock by 10am with a fun time had by all. It is pretty cool testing out new equipment.
I got sent a couple of the TFO axiom rods and tried casting the 8wt. I have a client in kona on sunday and will try to get him to test it out on a nice bonefish or trevally.
Here is the mahi, the sashimi was wonderful and the sesame ginger steaks were great for dinner. Hey check it out we are even in saltwater sportsman this month as the #1 destination for mahi. The secret is out, Mems.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/PB080110.jpg

Adam Grace
11-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Very nice Don!

Darian
11-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Hey Don,.... That's a lotta Dorado. :shock: I notice you had to hold your tongue a certain way in order to keep from grinning too much. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I recently finished a TFO, Ticr, 10 weight rod for Baja.... TFO really puts out great rods. 8) 8)

Gotta try the sesame/ginger maranade( :?: ). It really sounds delicious. :D :D

jlmelend
11-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Nice Mahi-Mahi...Memmer-Memmer!
Don, what reel and leader are you using on those fish?
Regards,
Joe

mems
11-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi Joe, I was using the TFO 425 reel loaded with 11wt teeny tarpon line and had a stepped down 15lb fluro leader with 20lb bite guard. Mahi do have teeth, small but they will wear out a leader during a long battle. This one took about 15 minutes to bring in. The more they jump the more energy they expend.
Hey isn't it hockey time again? Don.

jlmelend
11-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I've never casted the blue water series, do you typically "overweight" the line in these, kinda like a spey rod?

Right you are - it is hockey season again. To my surprise our hawks are in second place behind the redwings. My league team is in first place and is defending its third championship season in a row.

Nice post! Top shelf!

Joe