PDA

View Full Version : The rod that beats the top of the line Sages

sacfly
11-06-2007, 08:03 PM
So now you can buy the best 2 rods from Kienes? When do you get in the helios bill?

The future of fly rods
November 4, 2007
It's pricey, but if you have a chunk of money burning a hole in your pocket, you can be among the first to own a limited First Edition model of the Orvis ZG Helios, probably the lightest and the most technologically advanced fly rod ever created.
Graphite rods are made by rolling a resin-impregnated mesh fabric (called a scrim) into a tube and baking it in an oven to melt the resins. When you touch a graphite rod, the stuff you feel is the hardened resin.
Tom Rosenbauer, Orvis' rod and tackle marketing director, said the company came up with a way to use a lighter, less-dense scrim and lighter resins to take 30% to 35% of the weight out of the rod blanks. It also pared 20% out of the weight of the carbon fiber reel seat.
I got to use the 9 foot for a 5-weight line last summer, when it was still a big secret, and was amazed. It was incredibly light, about 2.5 ounces, but that's not what got me. It was the almost effortless casting. You just lifted the line off the water, did a quick false cast and let it fly.
For the past 10 years Sage has set the standards for upmarket fly rods. But when I tried the Helios side-by-side with a 9-foot Sage TCR, using the same reel and line, I thought the Orvis was noticeably better.
The light weight of the Helios trout rods is nice but not all that important. I'm 6-foot-1 and 215 pounds, so a 5-weight rod that's an ounce lighter isn't a big consideration. But an 8- or 10-weight that's 4 ounces lighter is appealing for saltwater, salmon or bass fishing, where you hold it at head level as you make hundreds of casts a day.
The First Edition Helios rods will be sold until Jan. 1, and the company will make only 250 each of an 8-foot-5 for a 5 weight, a 9 foot for a 5 and a 9 foot for an 8. They cost $755 for the 5-weight trout rods and $775 for the 8. When mass production begins in January, the rods will cost the same but won't bear the limited edition name. They come with a lifetime replacement warranty.
The Helios rods are four-piece models, and Rosenbauer said Orvis two-piece rods eventually will go the way of the 8-track tape because few anglers want them.
The company eventually will produce a full line of Helios rods in many lengths and weights. Meanwhile, sales of the limited edition models will be split among Orvis stores, some trout pro shops and the company Web site at www.orvis.com.
Eric Sharp

dtp916
11-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Orvis :? ?

No thanks. I'll stick to the green sticks.

flygolf
11-06-2007, 08:35 PM
From what I have heard these rods will change the way you look at Orvis. Extremely light, even the case is supposed to be carbon fiber. Can't wait to throw one. I know the guys at the shop have had a chance to throw it and I haven't heard anything but high praise.

jhaquett
11-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Cool, but I would have to stop eating for three months to afford one of those :lol:

What is the deal with everyone wanting lighter and lighter rods? I think that if they get much lighter the balance between the rod and reel would be screwed up. I also realize that reels are getting lighter as well but I am hard on my reels and don't want them any lighter. Isn't under 4 ounces light enough for a rod? I think anyone who needs a lighter 5 weight for a day of fishing should consider picking up a dumbbell every now and again.... :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-15-2007, 10:54 PM
We are starting to get our new Orvis 'ZG Helios' fly rods in now.

They are extremely light and cast very well.

We have the 9'#5, line in now and will get some 9' #8 line, 4 piece in soon too.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-01-2007, 09:43 AM
We got the Helios rods in and have sold 2 already.

bcarson4374
01-25-2008, 01:21 PM
From what I have heard these rods will change the way you look at Orvis. Extremely light, even the case is supposed to be carbon fiber. Can't wait to throw one. I know the guys at the shop have had a chance to throw it and I haven't heard anything but high praise.

New to the board... Hi All...
But yes the Helios will change the way you look at Orvis... I personally never have owned an orvis rod, that is until the Helios rods came out. Sure I thought about picking up a superfine. But opted for a Scott G2 instead. Point is I always thought of a trout rod much like Winston, (although I thought the XTR was a great line for windy salt conditions)
That is until i cast the Helios. It is right up there with the Cross Current and the Xi2 and because you can pick it up in different flex options you can through in the Z-axis, S4, S3s and S4s.

Super light in the hand get a tip flex for something like the action of the Xi2 or XTR or C.C. a Midflex for something more like a BIIx and Z-Axis.

Dont get me wrong I love My Xi2's C.C's and Z rods but the Helios opened me up to Saltwater with Orvis. 4wt (mid Flex) and 8wt (tip flex) are gems.

But what do I know- Im just new here.

Ed Wahl
01-25-2008, 08:35 PM
This thread really makes me want to grab the old glass or cane stick out of the garage and crawl up a small canyon stream. No brand labels, helo-somethings, tip flexings, s15's or anything else that would make me worry if I dinged it on a rock. Just me and a buttload of puny trout. Ahhhh, nice. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-25-2008, 10:29 PM
I would rather a person got outfitted at garage sales than not be able to fly fish because they could not afford new stuff.

We have lots of people come in with old fly fishing outfits they inherit and we fix them up and get them going. Later, if they want to buy nicer stuff, they can.

Some older rods and reels are just fine. Maybe all they need is a new fly line properly installed and a new tip top on the rod.

Yes, if a person wants to buy a dozen new $750 Helios fly rods we will not turn him or her away.

Only in America..............we are so lucky. In Russia they don't have Sage Z-Axis or Orvis Helios fly rods. I had a group contact me from Russia. They wanted us to donate any old funky fly tackle we had to them because they had nothing over there.

Paul B.
01-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Thank you Ed.

bcarson4374
01-25-2008, 11:10 PM
we are so lucky. In Russia they don't have Sage Z-Axis or Orvis Helios fly rods. I had a group contact me from Russia. They wanted us to donate any old funky fly tackle we had to them because they had nothing over there.

But If you want to fish with them on a Russian river youll have to lay out $2,000 Just saying.