PDA

View Full Version : Skunked Agian!!!!!

charles
11-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Went out to Watt tonite, fished the riffle 400yrds above the bridge. Started out under an indicator, then switched to swinging on a sink-tip line. Lots of caddis on the water but no fish rising. I have yet to catch a half pounder in the dozen or so tries on the American. I know they are their because everyone else is catching them (so I here). This is getting frustrating ](*,) :-({|= . I have been using recommended flies and techniques. Is anyone going out to the American soon (maybe in the morning) who wouldn't mind me tagging along and just watching.
Thanks in advance,
Charles

erhetta
11-07-2007, 08:06 AM
I know it doesn't make it easier to deal with, but I have been skunked at that spot numerous times. I fish that general area often. I have also hooked some nice ones there too (never landed though :( ) I feel your pain, my friend.

If you are free in the evenings, let me know and maybe we can get down there tonight or Thur night. I dont get out in the AM. Heck, I haven't been to the river in 2 weeks because of work, but that is changing right now.

My successful setup in that area includes a two nymph setup with an olive or tan birds nest with a trailing foxes poopah on floating line. My leader is between 10 and 12 feet with 8lb mono or 3x tippet. I don't add shot to get it down. The two bead heads are enough.

In that area, I like to first stand above the water and look down to see where the cuts between the clay rocks are. I take a mental note, wade out, cast above the cuts and allow the drift to bring the flies down into the cuts between the rocks.

I am definitely not the most successful, but for my first year out on this river, I have had my share of good days. "Keep at it!!! You will succeed as long as you are out there and have a fly in the water." Some wise old man at the shop once told me that. Thanks Bill :)

robdog
11-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Charles, from my experience on the American is to checkout different places. Also, the light makes a difference. Dawn or Dusk are the best times. I have caught fish mostly on surface flies, but have had some success subsurface. Unfortunately the AR is big water and it's hard for fly guys. Keep at it. The key for success on the AR is Persistence. Even though you don't meet success, you skillz will be better hone for other places.

Bryan Morgan
11-07-2007, 07:54 PM
That is deffinitely a very productive riffle. It can also be very on again off again. I like to use a weight forward floating line with a 9 or 10 foot tapered leader down to about 3x. These little rockets deffinitely are not leader shy. I generally throw a variety of Caddis imitations. I normally high stick, swing and then let it sit as if you were Shad fishing. I also keep some split shot about 12 inches above to keep it in the strike zone. I hope this helps a little bit. :D

Scott V
11-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Hey Charles, I am heading out tonight to Watt around 3, if you want come on out an join. I am new myself but I have been lucky enough to catch a couple half pounders. I'll be at the "secret spot" :lol:

erhetta
11-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Cya out there about 3:20ish. I have a couple of poopah's for ya too.

Kentucky Jim
11-08-2007, 10:15 AM
I too, have had no success on the AR. I live down south in Encino, but get up to Roseville to see my daughter from time to time. I'll be up there on Thanksgiving weekend, and if anyone can give me any pointers, say on Friday or Saturday, especially about the WAB area, I'd be most grateful. I'd love to get into some of those "1/2 pounders".

Regards,
Kentucky Jim