PDA

View Full Version : Selecting Flies for a new guy to the sport.

BigD
11-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Hello all. Where would I go to find the type of flies and size I would need for the Merced, Stanislaus, Tuolumne, Mokelumne or American Rivers? I will call Ernie's for the San Lorenzo River and Soquel Creek.

Or any other river or stream?

I am not sure where I will start. Any suggestions?

I have heard that some fly shops sell a set "trout" fly set of 12 or so for the Western states. I would like something more exact for the rivers as I want to increase my chances of catching trout.

Please provide whatever information you can.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Bob Scheidt
11-04-2007, 12:16 PM
For the Merced I would want a few #16 Light Cahill parachutes, can't go wrong with a 16 Royal Trude either. Smaller flies for later in the year when the water is lower is usually the case. Some caddis nymphs in a 14 would help.
I'm in Fresno and I'm not framiliar with what's happening further north.
I would stop by Kiene's shop and ask the guys. Good guys and knowledgeable too.

Bob Scheidt

Adam Grace
11-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Sorry but i don't fish those waters. Standard basic trout flies are flies like: Pheasant tail nymph, prince nymph, fox's poopah, birds nest, hare's ear, adams dry fly regular/parachute, light cahill, royall wulff, elk hair caddis, stimulator, floating ant. Special and newer popular patterns would be: Micro mayfly, military mayfly, yuba pupa, E/C caddis!, too name a few.

I hope that helped a little bit.

Sorry for the rushed reply.

BigD
11-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Does anyone have a reccomendation to an on-line store to obtain the various type of flies needed?

I have done some shopping and stores like Cabela"s, L.L. Bean etc. are all about the same price at about almost two buck a fly. As I am on a budget I would like to at least get the basics needed and when the holidays come around I could get what else is required for a good collection of flies.

Again, any information you can provide would be MUCH appreciated.

Nip Hadlock
11-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi,
Welcome New Guy.
Kiene's Fly Shop is the host of this board...they enjoy a top notch reputation for expertise and customer service. :)
Call the shop and they'll give you all the advise you need and then can ship your flies and any other gear you desire right to you!
Support the shop that supports our online vicarious fishery! 8)
Good fishing,
Nip

BigBill
11-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Be very careful buying flies online. There are a lot of wholesale online fly shops that sell absolute trash tied with poor materials on weak hooks. Buy a few at first and inspect the workmanship before stocking up from a particular site.

You can actually do a lot worse than Cabelas. Their price to quality ratio is among the better online options. I like their $9.99 dozens and specialty assortments that often go on sale in the fall. The Callibaetis assortment they have on sale right now looks sick!

BigD
11-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Has anyone ever purchased flies from The Anglers Dream Fly shop?

BigBill
11-10-2007, 08:03 PM
I have never dealt with that fly shop but judging from the pics I saw on their website, it doesn't look like they carry too many flies I would tie on my line. When you buy from a place that sells 66 cent flies you can pretty much count on losing a lot of fish to bent hooks and having to change flies after each fish due to them falling apart. Don't buy flies that cost less than a dollar. You can take my word for it or you can learn the hard way.

SteelieD
11-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Don't buy flies that cost less than a dollar. You can take my word for it or you can learn the hard way.

Amen to that. Go to Kiene's (or a fly shop in your area) and get a few patterns for your area. You really don't need many to start. Your collection will amass over time as you become more comfortable with the places you fish and style of fishing you do. I was so hell bent on filling my box when I started, that I ended up with a bunch of crappy flies, most of which I never fished.

Adam Grace
11-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Learning to tie a just a couple of popular patterns is a great way to fill your fly boxes as well.

Reno Flytyer
11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey Newguy...re-read the post above that suggests supporting this site/owner. Give them a call, ask all the questions you like & place an order, you'll get the right flies at a fair price, and they won't fall apart when you "just add water". Here's one more tip for you...if you take a fishing trip & stop in at a local fly shop to ask for local fishing information, BUY SOMETHING! The folks who own these stores are in it to make a living and for them it's a labor of love...think about how difficult it is for them to have to compete against the major retailers both on line and throughout the country, and then just give out free advice. You've asked twice about on line suppliers and were given sound advice - hopefully this sinks in.
Reno Flytyer

BigD
11-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have done some shopping at a few of my local shops where I live. I have purchased some flies to start with as well as some accessories, waders, boots etc. When I get up near Sac I will make it a point to stop by Kiene's.

Again, than you for your input.