PDA

View Full Version : My first fly

erhetta
11-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Ok, so maybe it is my 3rd, but the first two I was practicing with. This will be the first I will actually use.

Any feedback or critiques are welcome.

This is a size 14 foxes poopah using peacock instead of ostrich.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/erhetta/Flys/IMG_5274.jpg

k.hanley
11-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Fox's pattern is a solid design.

Don't get rid of the first two you tied. Use them as well. You just might be surprised how well they can fish!
Cheers, Ken

JT
11-02-2007, 08:19 AM
That looks like one fish-catching fly. Try tying some in olive and a few on curved hooks as well.

Flycanoe
11-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Nice tie and also agree it's an excellent pattern.

I can see thread wraps behind the peacock and the peacock appears kind of thin. I would suggest starting the peacock further back to cover the wraps which will make the peacock portion longer and fuller looking.

Here's the one I tie with a bead head that I call a Copper Poopah.
I like to substitute a few strands of flash for the antenae as the feather ones are to easily broken.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/ldorius/steelhead%20flies/Tied%20Flies/copperpoopah2.jpg

erhetta
11-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Awesome suggestion, and thank you.

What hook is that you tie that on? I like the shape of it better than the ones I am using currently. Would love to tie some on both.

Also, I noticed, right behind the bead, it looks like a band of some sort. Is that a metallic thread or something else?

Great suggestion on the flash substitute too.

I had another off line suggestion for twisting peacock and ostrich together for that section to give not only the flash of the peacock, but the filling and movement of the ostrich.

I will tie up a couple more this weekend and share.

Keep the suggestions coming. I am really enjoying tying now that I am setup.

With the Adult Steelie run coming on soon, what should I think about learning to tie next? Perhaps another thread....

Flycanoe
11-02-2007, 11:59 AM
This version is for adult steelhead tied on Mustad R90 size 12. This is 4x strong hook for salmon/steelhead. For trout, I use TMC 3769 or 2302.

The tan band behind the bead is just the whip finish using tan thread.

I also use 6 wraps of 0.015 leadfree wire pushed into the bead which then sticks out a little from the bead. When the ostrich herl is wrapped on top of the wire, it stands up further making it look fuller.

This fly sinks like a rock to get down quick and deep and has proven very effective.

erhetta
11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Now that's what I am talking about....thanks again!!!!

If I ever get out of work today, I will have to try your suggestions.

Adam Grace
11-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Good looking flies, the both of you.

Nice pictures of them as well.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Love the web and love digital cameras.

Those are very nicely tied flies and very sharp photos too.

Thanks guys.

jbird
11-03-2007, 08:50 AM
What is the body material on these flies? Are you burning the butt to taper and darken it?

Thanks

Jay

Matt Frey
11-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Guys,
Really good looking flies. Although its a departure from the original, I like the use of peacock. Peacock catches fish. If you build a good thread base, you should be able to make the peacock look thicker. My only one word of advise.... I use a slightly thinner gauge wire. This shows segmentation while not being to flashy. Of course this is probably more for me than the fish.

Hey Jay
The body material is a chenille. I cant find mine right now, but I think its called ultra or micro chenille. You use a lighter to taper the end and as a result the chenille darkens. If you go to Harry Mason's site at www.troutflies.com you can see a really detailed step by step. PM me and I will send you a couple flies and a sample of the material. David Lee can vouch for me ... they catch fish!

Tight Lines,
Matt

Scott V
11-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Nice fly E, you better bring a couple extra for me tomorrow. :D Come on now, hook up a brother.

erhetta
11-07-2007, 07:48 PM
So with some board knowledge in hand, I experimented and came up with a poopah variant. I like the way it turned out and just looks lucky...

First fly on the new vise and loving the upgrade:

Tied on a size 12 TMC 2457
5 wraps of rib under the bead head
green tinsel with olive vernille
peacock instead of ostrich, grouse
minus the wood duck antenna

I finally get to play with the digital macro setting on my SD630:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/erhetta/Flys/IMG_5277.jpg

Adam Grace
11-08-2007, 12:02 AM
That camera is very good but I think that you placed your camera too close to the fly, try backing up a little bit, then cropping the picture later. The macro range is pretty good with that camera, but not perfect.

Good choice on getting a Canon, they are great cameras!

Scott V
11-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Another nice fly my friend. I can see your reflection on the bead.

erhetta
11-08-2007, 09:22 AM
That camera is very good but I think that you placed your camera too close to the fly, try backing up a little bit, then cropping the picture later. The macro range is pretty good with that camera, but not perfect.

Good choice on getting a Canon, they are great cameras!

Thanks. I have had the camera for a while and chose it because it does awesome pics when moving. My gf takes pics for me from the back of my motorcycle and it has blown us away how well it does. In macro mode, even with the half push on the button, the object really does not get into clear focus on the screen, but they sure turn out great when I dl them.

dtp916
11-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Wow, thats a pretty good looking first fly!

If you don't like the thread wraps behind the bead, use a black sharpie and color them in :thumbsup: