PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about my line.....(help please)

Digger0038
10-31-2007, 04:24 PM
I have a 5wt rod with DT floating line on it. I mostly use it for river and stream trout and the halfpounders. My question is if I wanted to fish some of the lakes for bass and trout would I need to buy a sinking tip line and another spool or is there a less expensive way to get my line down where it needs to be to catch fish?

I have an 8wt rod with a sinking tip line that I use for Delta stripers would that be too much of a rod and line for the lake trout and bass?

Thank you in advance for your help

Bryan Morgan
10-31-2007, 04:34 PM
I am kind of in the minority here I think, But I use a shooting head system to get down deep that is attatched to an intermediate running line to target Shad and numerous Trout species in lakes to dredge the bottom.Talk to the guys at Kienes. Good luck. :D

Digger0038
10-31-2007, 05:37 PM
With a shooting head system would I just purchase a sinking shooting head splice about a 15ft section of the sinking tip portion and call it good?

Bryan Morgan
10-31-2007, 06:31 PM
I generally throw a 30ft head. They come in given grain wts. I like the versatility in fishing different depths without spending a bundle in extra spools.

jbird
10-31-2007, 06:44 PM
There are so many options when it comes to line now. If you are anywhere near Kienes shop, I would go talk to them. Then youll know what you want and how much it'll cost you. There is a line for every fishery, come to think of it there is a line for each day of the week at every fishery. If I were to choose one line for fishing trout and bass in lakes, it would be a clear intermediate line.

J

Terry Thomas
10-31-2007, 07:02 PM
A double tapered line for lake use would not be a choice that I would make. Can it be used...sure. In the long run you will not be happy with the longer casts required and the conditions that you may incounter on lakes. For a start get a WF floater. Shooting head systems can be very effective. For me, I don't like the running line in the boat or hanging up on my fins if I am in a float tube. My first line after the floater would be a #2 full sink. As you progress with sport, and you will, my third line would be an intermediate full line. With these three lines you can cover the prime feeding areas in most lakes. That's my 2 cents worth.
Terry

Digger0038
11-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Thank you all for your assistance. I would like to thank Terry for helping me out at Kiene's today. I really appreciate your help and I can't wait to give the Ross and line a try.. :D