PDA

View Full Version : Small Stream Steelies comments

Rick J
10-31-2007, 06:30 AM
Well, yesterday I received a scathing e-mail from a "friend of the river" regarding my recent post about unnecessary bragging and potentilally threatening our wild steelhead.

So just to clarify, often when fishing small stream tributaries there is a good chance that the majority of the fish you will be fishing to will be wild steelhead so please treat them accordingly. I would recommend clipping off trebles on your spinners and using a single barbless hook but then I would recommend that no matter where you fish if you plan on releasing the majority of your fish.

loganmike
10-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Fish are very tough creatures. I have caught many wild steelies with sea lioin teeth marks and osprey or eagle marks. Take care of our wild populations and the gill netters will take care of them for us. JK!

Seriously though, picnhing barbs, keeping the ffish in the water, and the like are great ideas! I hear it is red hot out there right now, go out and enjoy, and please let me know, I am living vicariously through y'all right now!

sculpin
10-31-2007, 07:13 AM
I enjoyed your report Rick. You didn't name the water you were fishing or give any clues. That's the main thing because small water is sensitive. It also shows people that if they get off their butt they can find a place to fish away from the crowds.

We can't fish most of the small water in our area because it is closed to provide spawning habitat.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks Rick

I am just happy that little rivers like that still exist.

90% of us are too lazy to hike down in there anyway.

__________________________________________________ _________

I get in trouble all the time from people who don't like me telling others about "their special places" but most of the time they have forgotten that it was me who turned them on to it in the first place many years ago.

I just have to laugh...............

jbird
10-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Rick

Thats too bad that you got "stalked" for that report. As others pointed out, it was one of the best reports many of us had seen. I think thats because you broke free of the mainstream and found your own adventure.

I commend you for how you handled it in your post here.

Keep up the good work. :)

Jay

MrBig
11-07-2007, 07:00 AM
I REALLY, REALLY ENJOYED SEEING A REPORT ON SMALL STREAM STEELIES. GREAT JOB. BUT.....IT IS NICE THAT YOU ARE POINTING OUT THE ETHICAL/RESPONSIBLE PART OF IT TOO. GOOD FORM. HOPEFULLY ON SAT NIGHT I'LL HAVE A SMALL STREAM STEELIE REPORT OF MY OWN TO POST. OF COURSE, ARMED WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD IS RESPONSIBLE. :D :D :D