PDA

View Full Version : Beulah Switch rods and lines.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-29-2007, 08:33 AM
We have all the Beulah lines in stock now and some of their Switch rods.

hookedupanglers
11-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Bill,

I have had a chance to use a few of those rods. Very nice and a good price point. just an update on the Sage 7136 spey i got from you, its an awesome rod. It fished well on the Rogue and Trinity this year. We will start running trip on the lower American in December and i look forward to putting it in my clients hands. Also the cnd line is a great match. If anyone is looking at getting into spey fishing the Beulah rods are nice and extremely smooth. I would recommend the sage z-axis 7136 to anyone that wants a fast powerful spey rod.

Thanks again, Damian

Jasonh
11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
I had the opportunity to fish the Beulah 7/8 switch rod this past week on the Trinity river. It was matched with one of Beulah's elixir(sp?) lines which is a scandanavian style head. Wow, what a sweet setup! The rod and line casts great spey casting and is also light enough to overhead cast. I tried floating and sinking poly leaders and both were very easy to cast overhead and spey. This is a great rod for various applications but really excelled spey casting and swinging flies for steelhead.

For those of you out there considering a switch rod, take a good look at the Beulah. It is one heck of a rod for around $400.

OceanSunfish
12-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Jason,

Have you tried the 6/7 Switch model? If so, how would it hold up on the American for winter fishing conditions, used by someone with above avarge skill sets.

Or, would the 6/7 be a better 'floater' rod if the 'swing' isn't an option.

Thanks.

Darian
12-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Not sure what you mean by "hold up" but I recently bought the Beulah, 6/7 weight switch rod and, while I haven't fished it yet, I found it light weight, easy to cast one or two handed. With the right weight line (Rio Outbound, WF 8 weight), I was able to cast almost the entire line, single handed/double hauling, on a breezy day in Discovery Park. 8) 8) Can't wait to take it over to Pyramid Lake or the surf at Drakes....

Beulah switch rods are all 10'6" in length (according to their website). their website has all of the info about lne selection for each weight rod, included. My feeling is that this rod will be one the most versatile rods I own/use. :D :D :D

Jasonh
12-04-2007, 07:53 PM
I would say that the 6/7 would work just fine on the American. If you hooked a big or hot winter fish it might be a little fun. I have not cast the 6/7 but have heard it casts as good as the 7/8. Either rod is perfect for floating line fishing and using poly leaders as tips. Beulah has also done a great job of dialing in their lines with their rods. Hope this helps.

OceanSunfish
12-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the excellent views on the 6/7 switch rod. I am thinking about using that specific rod blank to construct a rod of a different configuration and application. I think it will work.

Of course, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the rod 'as is' and use it how it was intended to be used too.

I like to fiddle around with my fishing gear and enjoy being a versatile angler.

I hope the flip side of no salmon in the American this year is a bunch of winter steelhead, convenient and close to home to you both.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi OS,

We had a great Halfpounder Steelhead run in Sept/Oct on the Lower American River and I imagine many are still spread out in the river.

Our Fall King Salmon run was down probably 95%. Sad..........

We hope for a nice winter run (Dec/Jan/Feb) of large adult Steelhead (5-15#).

We do need some ran though because we are running out of water.