PDA

View Full Version : Delta 10-28

Hairstacker
10-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Fished the Delta for a few hours this morning out of the inflatable kayak. Was hoping to squeeze in one more topwater largemouth bass day before the season ends. I kept at it with a red/white deer hair Tap's Bug but only managed a few strikes that I missed, a fish of about 13" that got unbuttoned about halfway to the kayak, and a little dink about 10" I brought to hand. Bottom-line, it was slow and I didn't get any hits in some of the areas I could usually count on earlier in the year. Alas, I think the Delta topwater season for LMBs is pretty much over for the year if you ask me.

In the last 30 minutes on my way back to the car, I tied on a chartreuse/white Clouser and soon picked up this chunky 15 1/2" bass that put up a spirited fight on my 7wt:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/10-28-07Delta1.jpg

As always, it was a fun and relaxing session and am looking forward to focusing on subsurface flies and presentations from here on out. :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Looks like it was lovely down there.

Scott V
10-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Saturday wasn't so good for me, but I did have about 8 or 9 blow ups on my deer hair bass bugs. So I was pretty happy with that. Ed landed 2 or 3 on top water also. They were smaller fish and I think the ones hitting me were mostly little stripers. But we still had some top water action. I will never give up on top water. :D

The rest of the day we cruised around the delta looking for striper, where a few were caught but nothing big for me, Ed caught a nice striper, I think it was the biggest one he caught in the Black Pearl.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Great Scott....top water is cool.

Rodney D.
10-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Hairstacker,
How deep were you fishing with the clouser? I've heard that there are still a lot of fish in the 5-10 foot depths. Great picture. I need to bring my camera with me next time...but I'm paranoid about dropping it or getting it wet!

Hairstacker
10-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Rodney, I was fishing the Clouser with a floating line with a tip that sank, my leader was about 7' long, I was letting the fly sink a bit before retrieving, fishing it at medium speed with lots of pauses, in a relatively shallow area along the weed line next to a big flat. I'm guessing I was running it at 4' - 5' or so?

I like to post pictures, because I figure folks like looking at fish pictures as much as I do. With that said, I noticed someone in the Steelhead section views these posts as, "look at me, aren't I the world's greatest fisherman?" Does make me pause and ponder if most folks generally view them that way. . . .

Matt Frey
10-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Mike
Keep posting those photos. I love seeing them. And by the way you are the world's greatest fly fisherman in a red inflatable kayak that I have seen. I appreciate the photos and I think most do.

More photos!

slage
10-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey HS,

Please don't stop posting reports and/ or pictures. They are great.
Interesting how many of the voices in said post are relatively new to fly fishing, yet suddenly the authority? Again, everyone can cast 100 feet online....
Feel like I am commenting on more than this post (and would probably be more relevant in the said Steelhead one) but feel strongly that it shouldn't stop you. Can kinda ruin the point of this forum?

I think I speak for a majority when I say keep those great Delta reports coming!!

Rodney D.
10-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Hairstacker,
Thanks for the photos, reports and info. I really use it an appreciate it (believe me, since switching from conventional tackle, I need all the help I can get). Keep posting the photos... I love seeing them. For those of us who can't get out on the water as much as we would like, the photos and reports keep us pumped up.

Katz
10-29-2007, 08:34 PM
MORE PHOTOS! KEEP 'EM COMING!

Kraig

jbird
10-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Mike

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You are the Delta LMB rock star...and I am a groupie :oops:

Keep it up!

Jay

Hairstacker