PDA

View Full Version : California State record fish........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-28-2007, 09:12 AM
http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/AnglingRecords/Default.aspx

Before they put Stripers in New Hogan I use to hear of really big Crappie there.

Chuck Campana and Peter Peterson both like to fish up in the Mokelumne River channel on Pardee Reservoir for Smallmouth Bass in the Spring.

We sent hundreds of people over the years to Lobdell Lake (Mono) for Arctic Grayling. Don't know if there are any in there now though?

That 27 lbs 4 oz record Steelhead on the Smith River was during that big drought in the late 1970s.

Mike McKenzie
10-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey Bill,

The last time I was at Lobdell Lake, (early 80's) as I walked around the lake all I could see were fish guts/gills litterin' the bottom.. :shock: :shock: I couldn't guess how many...It was a sickening sight! :mad: :mad: It looked like someone really cleaned the place out! Never been back!

Mike

OceanSunfish
10-31-2007, 02:08 PM
I was at Lobdell in '96 and had great fishing catching the Kamloops on the typical stillwater fare, i.e.; damsels, etc. Those fish lived up to their heritage.

Unfortunately, a year or two later, the levee that held back the water broke and the water and fish became part of the hillside. I'm not sure if the levee was ever repaired, and if so, if there were funds to establish the fishery again.

When you fly from Vegas to Sacramento, you practically fly right over the lake! I couldn't tell if it was still there from the airplane.

I had the entire lake to myself for the entire day. What a place and one fun truck ride to get there.