PDA

View Full Version : When is a good time to use glo balls for steelhead on the AR

Digger0038
10-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Just curious when would be a good time to start using glo balls on the American for steelhead and how effective are they compared to nymphs?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Almost anytime?

In the Fall when the salmon are spawning is popular on most Nor Cal rivers.

Winter is a good time too.

In Jan/Feb some switch to little salmon alevin imitations which are the little salmon as they hatch with an egg sack still visible on their belly.

Many fish a #12/14/16 nymph along with an egg imitation.

Naturally you want to use the largest tippet and largest nymphs that Steelhead will easily take. Sometime you have to go to lighter tippet and smaller flies to get them to eat.

Digger0038
10-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Thank you for your reply Mr. Kiene as always I do appreciate your help. Im going to give it a try this morning and I will post back how I do.

wjorg
10-29-2007, 07:52 AM
DONT USE GLO BALLS, they GET STUCK IN GILLS. Use the Pettis Unreal Egg, its bead helps the Egg set stuck in their teeth. You set the hook in the mouth that way, not the gill.

Scott V
10-29-2007, 08:03 AM
I was told to use trout beads due to the fact they cause less gill hooking also. I was told to stay as far away from glo-bugs as I can. And this comes from a source that has been guiding and fishing for salmon and steelheads for a very long time.

Charlie Gonzales
10-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I have caught countless number of fish on glo bugs and have never had one in the gills. You should be setting up on those fish way before it ever gets deep enough for the gills. I have been wrong before though.

jbird
10-29-2007, 04:29 PM
I have caught countless number of fish on glo bugs and have never had one in the gills. You should be setting up on those fish way before it ever gets deep enough for the gills. I have been wrong before though.

Charley

I have had the same experience as you. I have never hooked ANY steelhead in the gill rakers. Why would a fish take a globug deeper than a prince nymph? I guess the argument could be made that multiple fish are competing for eggs behind redds? causing fish to gobble them quickly.? I say let your concience be your guide with this one.

Jay

jhaquett
10-29-2007, 05:50 PM
For some reason, like jbird I have no idea why, I find that browns will INSTANTLY swallow a globug but not anything else quite often. This has been the case for me lots of times at Baum Lake. I set the hook instantly after my indicator makes any movement and still can't help to have a few hooked deep...its strange.

wjorg
11-01-2007, 01:20 PM
My point was that glo bugs have no weight and get sucked through the gills sometimes in the egg feeding frenzy. The bead inside the yarn of the Pettis Unreal Egg, or Unreal Egg, helps weight it down. As the fish sucks it in, the yarn catches on the teeth, telegraphing the bite to your indicator quicker.

I fished with Craig Zeigler, the creator of Bead Fishing. He was the first to paint beads with nail polish, and he did so at Kulik Lodge in Alaska. Improperly hitched beads, or pegged beads period, rip the face of the trout as they hook from the outside when the fish bites the bead. Logger hitch a bead about 1.5 inches from your hook, if you are going to use Beads.

Throw your glo bugs away.