PDA

View Full Version : Big striper flies

Scott V
10-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Can someone suggest and/or show me pics of some big striper flies. I would like to tie something around the 6"+ size. I have tied normal size clousers, but I just do not really have an idea of what type of material to tie on for bigger flies.

thanks for any info

And please do not turn this into a big flies does not mean bigger fish posting/argument, I am just looking for some big patterns.

Darian
10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey Scott,.... Not getting much response here are you. :? :? Anyway, there're several photo's of Striper patterns within the posts on this Forum.... One of mine is in the Injured Minnow Thread. In a post on another Forum, you asked about size of the hooks and what type of materials are beiing used :?: :?:

In general, the size of the fly will dictate the size of the hook used. A small Striper fly may be tied on a size 1 or 1/0 hook. A large fly might be tied on a 3/0 or 4/0 hook. Some patterns will call for a long shank hook; others will use a regular length shank. Of course, there will be exceptions to all of this depending on what you want to accomplish with the pattern you're tying. In Striper fishing, you should always choose a strong style hook. 8) 8)

The materials used to make a large fly (let's say a Clouser) will have long fibres (5"-6") for the under/over wing. Also, if tying a Flashtail in between the two wings, that will be up to an inch longer than either wing. 8) The materials for the wing might be from bucktail, synthetics or a combination of both. 8)

Striper patterns abound on the Internet (for both east/west coast). Try Googling Saltwater Fly Patterns or Striped Bass Fly Patterns for a start. Also, try searching for Ken Hanley, Bob Clouser and/or Bob Veverka's websites. Too many great tyer's to name under Google.

A couple of good websites to start with are:

www.danblanton.com (select Hot Flies or Blanton's Classic Flies)

www.fliesunlimited.com (Jay Murakoshi has a killer Sea Habit Rainbow Trout pattern for the American)

www.saltwaterflies.com (east/west coast Striper patterns here)

Some sites have step by step instructions; some just provide the recipe. Others, only photo's. The good thing about all of this is that Striper flies are relatively simple to tie and (with a little practice) a good copy can be made from most photo's.... 8) 8) 8)

Have fun and post some pic's of your creations. :D :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Scott,

If you bring you tying 'stuff' by the shop I think Andy can show you some of his techniques and bigger patterns for Stripers.

k.hanley
10-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Here is a link to some truly "big" flies. They are Bob Popovic's pattern. I've seen the actual flies in the picture. Extraordinarily light. Enjoy.
Cheers, Ken
http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_for_web/bob_popovics/hollow_fly/morepictures/Hollow-Fleye-large.htm

Scott V
10-29-2007, 06:32 AM
thank you one and all, I will post some images when I get some nice big flies tied.

FISHEYE
10-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Dan Blanton just posted a couple of pics of flashtail whistlers and clousers on his board. Look for the post in the BB that is titled something like "clouser hooks". I was amazed at the size of those flies. They are like MOOSE!