PDA

View Full Version : Sinking line tips

Scott V
10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I have a slow sinking line but want the line to sink faster on occasions, and I really do not want to buy a whole new line. So are the sinking tips worth it, do they really work, how do they work, is it like a heavy leader or something? Or do I really need to get a faster sinking line. This is for my 7 weight so I can get flies down deeper.

SteelieD
10-24-2007, 01:46 PM
The Airflo poly-leaders have worked well for me in the past. I believe that is what you are referring to.

jbird
10-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Scott

Sinking heads sink based on weight/diameter. For instance, a type VI head will be heavier (grains per foot) and thinner (less water resistance) than a type III head. Different rod weights are matched to lines by the overall grain weight in the outward 30' of flyline. Thats why you'll hear guys ask, "How much T14 should I use on my 9wt...?" It can get pretty complicated especially once you step into the spey world.

The easiest thing to do with todays line technology is to buy a vera-tip or multi-tip line. But if you dont want to hawk your wifes wedding ring to afford such a system, you could experiment with tying weighted flies and switching to 100% flourocarbon leader. This wont give you as much control as the proper head, but it will definitly get you down in a pinch.

Jay

Charlie Gonzales
10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Scott
If your trying to gear up for the striper season on the delta you really should consider getting a new line. The SA custom tip express is my favorite this season and they are not that coslty. Many people are going to have varying opinions but over all you want something that gets you down deep in a hurry or you will be missing alot of action.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Scott,

I guess you have a Cortland 'Clear Camo' WF7I slow sinking line on your #7 line rod which is great for fishing from 2 to 6 feet deep. Very useful............

Right now you are either wading or fishing out of a pontoon boat.

__________________________________________________ __________

Many manufacturers make integrated sink-tip or sink-heads. You need one that is 200-250 grains and has a 24 to 30 foot extra fast sinking tip on it with a floating or intermediate running line. These cast a little nice out of a pontoon boat.

__________________________________________________ __________

We have tons of those SA 'Custom Tip Express' integrated lines that are $39.95.

Have the guys cut one to 27-28 feet tip and add a braided loops on the front for your 7 weight rod.

This might be better from a boat though.

That's one of the standard Delta rigs.

Ed Wahl
10-24-2007, 06:53 PM
40 bucks, that aint too bad. I think I'll pick one up for my 8wt this week. Lesson learned the hard way----pick up your line before using the trolling motor to re-position. D'oh! :oops: Ed

Jay Murakoshi
10-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Send me a couple.... I need to replace all the lines that were destroyed in baja. Still trying to figure out who to send my SA Mastery 350's too.
They all split at the transition.

Jay

Tony Buzolich
10-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Hi Jay, Send those lines directly back to S/A. They're great about getting things returned to you quickly and would want to know if they are having a problem with a particular line.

Ed, The Custom Tip Express and the Mastery Streamer Express are two of the most popular lines that we sell. The Streamer Express does have the benefit of having a tapered head though which gives a smoother presentation when turning a fly over. The Custom Tip Express has a simple level head which is designed to be cut to the appropriate length to fit the rod size. Not quite as smooth of a presentation but at $39.95 who cares when you're chucking and ducking 6" Clousers.

TONY

Scott V
10-25-2007, 07:02 AM
I guess I might as well break down and by a new line, especially since I have an extra spool for my reel. I'll see you at lunch Bill.

Ed Wahl
10-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Well I made it to Bill's shop before they closed. Ran like a bat out of hell all day to do it. Picked up a SA Custom Tip Express. Tony, you were my back up plan if I didn't make it back home in time, although sometimes dispatch gets a little wiggy and don't route me through Y.C. on Fridays. Gonna take the Black Pearl(guys at work insist I name her that) out again Sat. down at Lundborgs. Ed

Adam Grace
10-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Ed, you should enjoy that line.

jbird
10-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Black Pearl :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Jay

Hairstacker
10-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Black Pearl

That is a GREAT name! You should have it painted on the stern in a nice cursive hand. :D

Scott V
10-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Hey Ed, I'll get you a pirate flag for your ship.

Adam Grace
10-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Scott, if you get Ed the flag I'll get him the Pirate hat! :lol:

Ed Wahl
10-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Anyone know where I can get a polarized eye patch?

Adam Grace
10-27-2007, 11:11 PM
:lol: a polarized eyepatch would be awesome! :lol: