PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for camping on the lower Klamath

Anne Vitale
10-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi Folks.... I have decided to head up to the lower Klamath for a long weekend Oct 25-28 for a solo steelhead trip. My preliminary plans are to set up camp (I have a completely self contained, VW Westfallia) at the Aikens Creek campground and using my "Streamtime" map make day trips up and down the river to hit the riffles the map suggest are good for wade fishing. I fish exclusively with my spey rod and on the swing.

Soooo...my questions: Can anyone tell me if Aikens is a good place to camp? If not, is there an alternative? Are there any special safety concerns I should have? I have extensive experience camping out on my own and have never had any trouble but I think that is due to doing my homework first. Also if anyone else plans to be up there next weekend, let me know and I'll try to stop by and say hello.

Anne

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Anne

Not up to date on the best camping places now but I know that I would fish from Orleans upstream to Happy Camp during that time of year.

Rick J
10-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Ann,
The river blew out last week big time so check flows before you go. Bruce almost lost his boat trailer at Buzzards Roost

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/rivcond.html

nrthcsteel
10-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi Anne. Cant speak for the lower Klamath. But around the Orleans area there are several river access areas where I believe it is OK to camp out. Drive carefully down some of these access roads. They are pretty good roads for the most part but with the recent rains some may be a little hairy. Make sure you have a good functioning spare tire also and a can of fix a flat as a sharp rock on the gravel bars can cause a quick flat ( speaking from personal experience!!!) Other than that Id say watch out for Bears there everywhere and love cruising the gravel bars at night so take appropriate bear precautions. May be up there next weekend, waiting to see what the flows do but if the Klamath is dirtied up you may keep the Trinity in mind, if the weather stays good it should be in great shape. Ill keep in touch and maybe we can meet up wherever it may be(hopefully where some fish are!!!) Kevin

shawn kempkes
10-21-2007, 02:38 PM
This late in the season i would go up to dillon creek and camp there. Alot more spey/fly water up thereand less driving to get to it. Aikens creek is a good spot to. The camp host has a monday night football party every week.

Anne Vitale
10-22-2007, 09:50 AM
WOW.... Thank you...all of you! :) :) What a wonderful response!! I even got a couple of off-board messages of encouragement and detailed advice. It is this sort of thing that makes it possible for a flyfishing woman to go off on her own. 8) 8) I have an adventurer's heart :roll: but I am glad to say, I am not foolish :D . I'll be back with a report next week. Thanks again......Anne