PDA

View Full Version : I need new waders...

dtp916
10-08-2007, 09:49 PM
I like to hear everyone's opinion on products before I get them so....

I have thrashed my waders and its only been a year and 3 months since I got them...Simms Freestones. I guess they're good for people who don't fish long and hard and a lot. Or maybe I'm too tough on them :evil:

So I'm thinking Simms Guide Stockingfoots w/ the new seam down the middle to prevent leaks in the crotch or the Patagonia Watermaster II w/ its atomically correct legs and feet.

What do you guys think would be better in the long run as far as durabilty, fit, and more durability?

I have to admit I am leaning on the Simms side, the lower half of those waders have seriously thick material.

Simms:
* 3-layer and 5-layer GORE-TEX® Immersion® technology
* 5-layer fabric throughout lower leg for increased protection from pinholes
* Patented pre-curved wader in combination with front and back leg seams
* Flip-out, zippered chest pocket with key cord
* Built-in belt loop
* Patented built-in neoprene Gravel Guards
* 4mm high-density neoprene stockingfoot provides additional cushion and increased durability
* Easily convert to waist highs
* Nylon wading belt and repair kit included
* Every pair manufactured and tested in Bozeman, Montana

Patagonia:

Description

We’ve increased the flexibility and decreased the weight of our formidable Watermaster IIs by employing reinforcements solely in the critical seat and knee areas. They feature right and left neoprene feet and the most advanced suspension system available. Waist-mounted suspenders allow you to fold down the bib for comfort in warmer weather (and to quickly release water after a spill). The anatomically contoured crotch and knees let you move freely even when you’re fully layered up. A gravel-guard cuff (with boot hooks and gripper elastic) seals out grit. Built-in adjustable wading belt and field repair kit included. See insert for sizing information.

h2no
H2No® Storm is Patagonia's waterproof/breathable barrier. More of a classification than a specific technology, shells with H2No Storm utilize a range of laminates and coatings made from varying applications of polyester and/or polyurethane to achieve a standard of waterproofness and breathability that's best suited for a specified performance range. Learn more

Deluge® DWR
Patagonia’s proprietary durable water repellent fabric finish, Deluge DWR, lasts substantially longer than standard DWRs. Garments with the Deluge DWR finish have like-new repellency after years of extensive use.
Ideal Uses

* Oversize inside zippered main pocket (with piggyback mesh pocket) at top of wader flips out for handy access; carries boxes, tippets and small items
* Unique, waist-mounted suspender adjustments in both front and back; allows waders to be worn chest- or waist-high, and provides added safety in the event of a swim as upper may be pulled down to reduce water in the waders
* Snaps on front and back of suspenders and at top of wader for security when wading deep; anatomically curved knees and modified Y-Joint™ crotch for an even better fit
* Pattern work in wader and bootie improves fit and performance by specifically designing left and right legs and feet; built-in, long gravel guards using heavyweight reinforcement fabric for abrasion resistance
* Gripper elastic cuffs; stainless steel boot hooks attach to laces to secure cuff to boot
* Adjustable stretch wading belt and field repair kit included
* Relaxed fit
* Upper: Proprietary 3-layer HydroStorm fabric package developed specifically for immersion applications, features a supple yet durable 7-oz 75-denier microfiber polyester shell, H2No® waterproof/breathable barrier and durable nylon tricot liner with Deluge® DWR finish. Seat and knees: 3-layer HydroStorm Reinforced package features a tough, puncture resistant 8.2-oz 75-denier doubleweave microfiber polyester shell, H2No waterproof/breathable barrier and durable nylon tricot liner with Deluge® DWR finish. Feet: 3-mm neoprene with abrasion-resistant fabric on sole
* 1190 g (42 oz)

dtp916
10-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Majority of you guys like Simms? Despite the thread we had about them leaking?

Charlie S
10-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I've had Patagonia waders for over 8 years now. I have a new pair but am still wearing the original. Couldn't be happier. No leaks the entire time.

David Lee
10-10-2007, 06:36 AM
James -

I have the Simms lightweight goretex ones from about 5 ?? years ago .

No leaks , no footseam problems , none of that stuff ....

Guess I got lucky ? I know , that wasn't much help :oops:

David :)

Adam Grace
10-10-2007, 06:41 AM
I've had Simms guide waders for over 6 years, they're still going strong because I take care of them, I have only one small patched leak from a berry bush a year ago. I had a Patagonia pair while I had the Simms, I couldn't resist th e pro deal, they were baggier and not as "tailored" but I wore them because the gravel guards were built in, I also liked the suspenders....they were not bad waders but they fell apart due to use where my Simms haven't.

There's my input.

Mike McKenzie
10-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I don't think you can beat Patagonia waders because of the design of their suspension system, which allows you to fold down the top over your waist! A BIG plus when fishin' Rivers like the Pit or San Juan in the summer, or anywhere the temp. gets to the upper 90's, believe me!
As far as wear and tear they held up for 6 years fishin' all the western states have to offer! A true test is fishin' ridge to ridge on the Pit 3 reach as many times as I did over the 6 year period. Once they were worn out and started leakin' Patagonia replaced them with a new pair no questions asked!

Mike

PaulC
10-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Patagonia's lifetime warranty is hard to beat. My 10 year old simms are finally getting pinholes and keep getting patched. I'll definitely go with Patagonia the next round due to the customer service and the fact their Ventura store is nearby doesn't hurt:)
-Paul

Rob
10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
I have some Dan Bailey wadders that have been great !!!!!!!!

JT
10-10-2007, 09:25 PM
What do you guys think would be better in the long run as far as durabilty, fit, and more durability?

What about Hodgeman neoprenes?

bonneville54
10-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I bought these last year....

http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_DETAILS&CAT=waders&PROD.ID=40958

..and their pretty cool.The waist belt is awsome, is to adjust and so on. They seem durable, no leaks yet, lightweight. The shouder straps are thin and I thought that might be a problem, but so far-so good.

Living in Grass Valley, I fish the Yuba a lot and love being able to switch quickly from a pant wader when it's hot to a chest wader in the deeper holes in minutes.

dtp916
10-11-2007, 02:07 PM

What about Hodgeman neoprenes?

I already have neoprenes. I was looking for a new breathable.

The Rivertek are cool, but I have noticed that everytime i roll my waders down to my waist I end up getting soaked. So I'm sticking with chest high and wearing them chest high (unless I'm wet wading, which will be next summer).

Now the poll is almost even.....

roostersgt
10-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Here's a novel idea to get more out of your waders next time. "Wet wade" more or bring the waders to the spot where you're hiking in by carrying them in a backpack. My friends all like to dress up in their finest nearly everytime we hit the water, but they can afford new waders evertime they turn around. My favorite breathables for moderate temperatures are the Siomms Rivertechs.

IMHO most of the wear outs in the inseam are probably due to hiking over dry land while wearing the waders. Dry material and friction are not a good combo. It is doubtful one could ever wear a pair out while wading a river.

I can't believe how many people I see everyday wearing waders in the warm weather we've been having. Most people were standing in water below their knees. I save my waders for when its raining, cold outside, or the water is below say 50 degrees.

midger
10-13-2007, 05:40 AM
I've owned both brands and prefer the Patagonias. They are comfortable, functional and their customer service is great. My SSTs developed a seam leak after about 5-6 years. I sent them in for repair expecting to pay for the repair due to their age, but instead received a brand new pair of Watermasters for free. They stand by their products.

My SST wading jacket is over 14 years old and has kept me dry from Alaska to steelheading in winter. Still no leaks.

My Simms waders had issues with the booties leaking and have been repaired twice. They are now relegated to backup duty.

Pfloyyd
10-13-2007, 05:08 PM
My $0.02= Last year I walked into Leland's in S.F. looking for some new waders. I owned a leaky pair of Simms 'Guide' model- leaky because I have a bad habit of finding 'shortcuts' by crashing through dense and thorny brush, sliding down steep banks, and generally punishing those things into swiss cheese. Anyway, back at Leland's, a pair of shiny new Cloudveil's caught my eye- all kinds of fancy pockets, zippers, and gravel guards and stuff- then I checked the tag that said 'Made In China'- for the same price as the Simms. You can evaluate the economic impact of that transaction on your own- I grabbed the Bozeman Montana U.S.A.-born Simms G3's and never looked back.

I've never owned Patagonia waders and I don't know where they're made, but I like the company's business model and reputation for quality; not to mention their dedication to environmental activism. I think Simon Gawesworth may even be wearing them in his Rio spey casting videos, so they can't be all that bad, can they?

slimfishin's
10-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Look, I bet Pataguchi makes a fine product. But maybe if those waders were made in the US I'd be a bigger fan... OK, so country of origin isn't everything. Well, fine. I have had to deal with the company on a more intricate level - beyond the retail purchasing of "hmm... Simms or Patagonia?". I didn't like dealing with their company, because I couldn't get over the air of "your not worth to purchase my organic sweat shop products made in Mexico".

For me, the performance of your product is not the only factor in buying a product. There are TONS of good waders out there, and for me Simms was best for more than just the fact that their waders kick butt.

I have the new version of the Guide series by Simms. I had the old guide series for 6 years. I fish all the time and these are by far the best that I have had. I use a lot of other waders at my job, and they all suck. The problem with the old Simms was the configuration of the leg seams. The new ones moved the seams to the front and fit the legs a little tigher. That means that less of the fabric rubs between your legs.... which translates to no leaks coming from the leg seam. The gravel guards are sweet. They breath like crazy. I hiked about 6 miles yesterday in them and they were fantastic.

Simms all the way.

mircetich
10-31-2007, 07:42 AM
I had a pair of G3 and within two months of heavy use they started leaking at the foot, and in the shins. I sent them in with a statement of purchase and I still got charged $80....and it took a month to get them back.
I will be the first to admit that I am hard on my waders, but not hard enough to spring a leak withing the first two months and for what they cost, a no questions five year warranty would be justified.

My first pair of waders ever were Ptegonia's, they were great, lasted four years but that was a while ago....personally, I am a believer of the Orvis guide series, not that they have the bells and whistles, and catch terms that the others do, but because they are almost half the price, and a no questions warranty. I can genrally get two + years out of them and when they blow apart, Orvis sends another, brand new pair. Keeping in mind I fish 150+ days a year.

My two cents, good luck