PDA

View Full Version : Trinity River Report

Adam Grace
10-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Mike, Jason and I fished the Trinity this weekend. Mike and I fished Saturday without Jason, unfortunate for Jason due to the fishing on Saturday being better than Sunday. The weather was perfect on Saturday, a thin cloud cover with a bright sky. That morning fished well, Mike showed me how to catch and land some nice fish.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP4805.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP4847.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/fishportraitretouch.jpg

I landed a few, here's my best:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/adamtrinitycrop.jpg

Here's that fish underwater:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/underwaterportrait.jpg

Here's Mike's cleanest most beautiful steelhead:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP4835.jpg

Here's a nice double portrait of mike and a nice steelie:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/doubleportrait.jpg

Saturday less productive, but still fun. I landed a small fish in the morning:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/smallfishcrop.jpg

Mike also landed one fish that morning. Unfortunately nothing else was caught that day besides some juvenile fish, both steelhead and salmon, here's a picture of one of the salmon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP4869.jpg

Here's a picture of Jason spey fishing Sunday night, hopefully he and Mike caught some more fish today and will find some more tomorrow as well. If anyone can fins fish on the trinity those two can.

This trip was fun.

TaylerW
10-08-2007, 09:19 PM
greap report, but that first pic, sorry, but what a goober.
i am guilty of the "posing tongue" myself, thats the only reason i can comment

PaulC
10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Nice report Adam. Definitely cool you guys got into some good lookin fish. That native Mike is holding is a beaut!
-Paul

BIGBROWN
10-08-2007, 11:51 PM
did you guys float or wade? where were you guys on the river, and where did you guys access.

jhaquett
10-09-2007, 12:02 AM
PM SENT ADAM

Hairstacker
10-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Man, nice fish! Congratulations, looks like a blast. :D

dtp916
10-09-2007, 12:17 AM
WOW :eek:

Right on fellas!

Flycanoe
10-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Wow! Great looking fish. That is the best report I've seen yet from the Trinity. Way to go. :D

Rick J
10-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Adam - swinging or nymphing? Floating or tips? Spey or single handers?

PS-where in the pool did you hook the big fish - which rock were you standing on??? :lol:

Best regards,
Rick

jhaquett
10-09-2007, 12:34 PM
PS-where in the pool did you hook the big fish - which rock were you standing on??? :lol:

:lol:

nrthcsteel
10-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Great report and Pictures!!!!! Those are some VERY NICE trinity fish!!! Looks as though you did very well. Hmm was thinking of going to the Klamath this weekend but now I DONT KNOW????@@@!!!! Great report Adam and glad you guys got into some good fish. Kevin

sculpin
10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Great report Adam, I'm glad you guys got into some really nice fish. It should keep going for a while. I heard the bar at the mouth of the Klamath finaly broke and the fish are pouring in.

Mark

Paul B.
10-09-2007, 09:40 PM
That's it!!!!!!!! I'm on my way next week. PB

Adam Grace
10-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for your comments.

Out of respect for my "guides" I will not divulge our location. It is safe to say that the Trinity can offer some good fishing, when/IF you find the fish. It's all about being in the right spot at the right time, as evident to my past few experiences. I have talked to many Trinity fishermen and they say roughly the same thing about being there when the fish are.... that said there are some fish in the river, if you find them you can have some good fishing.

I just wanted to share some pictures of our trip with you guys and maybe inspire some people to get out and fish for steelhead, they are a great game fish.

jbird
10-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Wow Guys! Awesome! Combine good fishermen and good photographres and the result is a spectacular report like this one. Looks like we have some hero shot and portrait shot enrtries for an upcoming photo contest! :D

Mike, that steelhead looks like chrome chordwood :shock: :D

Jay

bigtj
10-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Anybody that's hell bent for leather to fish the trinity this week keep in mind the rains have come and the fish are on the move. I fished it this weekend through this week and the additional water means most of those fish Adam was running into are long gone upstream. So be prepared to move around and look for fish, they are definitely on "the run". Fishing yesterday was a lot tougher than it was last weekend so it's not all roses up there; any given day can be a lot tougher than the conditions over the weekend.

Thanks for the report Adam. As usual the combination of great weather and fish makes the Trinity a top notch destination. Being able to fish classic patterns with a floating line on the swing makes it priceless.

-John

wjorg
10-13-2007, 09:40 PM
You can't recognize that stretch of the river? Its getting too crowded with people anyway. The main "hatch" is often other anglers. Hehe

bruce mace
10-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Trinity... steelhead. Fished Saturday with the usual suspects... landed one nice adult, lost two. Tried the same drift Sunday, lost three adults - one monster close to 30" 10 lbs. almost came in the boat. Steelhead. Someone had to go home to work; fished further upstream Monday where we were told it was "impassable". Started drift after landing one adult at the put-in. 2 more adults by late lunch! But, wait! This is steelheading! Ran headfirst into the run... 8 MORE 23" - 28" adults by dark. And it WAS GETTING DARK. Headlamp dark. According to Chuckles, "They are where you find them, and when you find them, SIT on them!". Dream day. It happened. Driveway at 1:34 AM... ready for work? Right? Trinity. Steelhead. Always be ready...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-14-2007, 08:59 PM
You dogs..........congratualtions for a great trip and cool report.

denny griffin
10-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Adam, Great Photos!! Picked my fishing partner up at the airport on Tue,10/09 and headed for the Trinity. Fished Wed between Lewiston and Douglas City and got two fish. On Thur. we fished between Junction City and Del Loma and only picked up one fish all day. But we could not keep the salmon smolt off our droppers. They were all over the river. Our only consolation was no one else was catching fish either. On Fri. morning we fished a few spots below Junction City with no success. Thur night we had talked about the weir at Willow Creek. Neither of us knew how the weir operated; so about mid morning we decided to head to Willow Creek to see what we could find out. It took a while to find the weir, but when we did there were a ton of fish going through. We went about a quater mile below the weir and salmon were rolling all over the river. There were about six spin and bait guys having a great time. We swung flies for a short time. My buddy had never see a redwood tree, so early Fri. afternoon we headed for the coast and down 101 to Ave of the Giants. I had forgotten how majestic those giant trees are. It was worth the trip just to see them. Also, the scenery on the Trinity was wonderful, especially with the leaves turning bright yellow against the green of the pines. We both decided the Trinity is one of the most beautiful rivers we have fished.
Over a few drinks one evening we counted up 25 trips we have done together over the past 20+ years. Even though we live a thousand miles apart we make sure we fish together at least once every year. The catching is great if it happens; but the friendship is what it is really all about. That and the adventure of the unknown.
A couple of years ago my wife and I went to see the movie Broke Back Mountain. About half way through the film my wife leaned over and said" the next time you and Dick go fishing you damm well better bring a fish home or I'll know what you two have been up to all these years. That catch and release story is getting pretty old".
Hoping to get back to the Trinity by myself in the next few weeks. Your photos have got the blood going again

Adam Grace
10-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Thanks Denny, and all you other guys who left positive comments.

I like to share fishing pictures with people who can appropriately appreciate them.

Here's a picture of the changing leaves from last years trip, sorry for the slight blur, these were the best out of the bunch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP0571.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP0562.jpg

I wish that made pictures did the colors justice.

The Fall colors on the Trinity are gorgeous this time of year.

MrBig
10-16-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm going tomorrow. Super-excited, can't wait. Did anyone go today?

MrBig
10-18-2007, 03:48 AM
I went for half of the day yesterday. 1 adult, when it actually rained good for about 20 mins, about 0930. Other than that, about every other cast was a smolt. LOTS of people up there by JC. Apparently I was fishing in the catch and keep only section as two gentleman were carrying stringers with fish and a fillet knife to their truck. Nice. :? I hit a few runs by Lewiston with no luck. I didn't see anyone else up that way either.

Paul B.
10-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Never tired of pictures like that Adam. Thank you. Paul

Adam Grace
10-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Good for you MrBig!

Paul, thank you.

jhaquett
10-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Did you talk to anyone about how much rain they have received or if the bulk of the run has moved upstream mr.big? I was up there last Saturday, but I think they've gotten a good amount of rain since then and I was curious if the run has moved at all because I am going up there this Saturday again.

JSP
10-18-2007, 01:40 PM
I am meeting three buddies up their tomorrow too. Has anyone done any good from Lewiston to Douglas City or is it still a little early? We will be in Poker Bar, but I am wondering if it may be better to head down towards Junction City or Del Loma with everyone else and their brothers.

jhaquett
10-18-2007, 02:38 PM
I was told last Saturday by some locals that it was far too early to be trying the Lewiston area. Probably hasn't changed much since then.

If you try to find a public (didn't realize how much of the Trinity is private and not accessible :roll:) spot where there is only room for one car to park and then walk your way to the river. It is not too busy, even on Saturday. You'll be in even better shape on Friday. :wink:

Dustin Revel
10-18-2007, 03:13 PM
too many people for me on weekends... Junction city is even crowded during the week, so i went up higher and found some fish but they are far and few between. I probably hiked 5 miles of river using several different methods and only found fish in one location. I had a blast, until i tried to leave and figured out my starter was no longer in a starting mood (the hitting with a hammeror rock trick didn't work).
The tow company said it was going to be a while so i decided to fish around a while longer (until dark) with no success, but i did see a little black bear, which was pretty exciting.
I covered alot of water as thoroughly as possible without lingering too long with some success, but i heard a few reports that there were many more fish around junction city.

MrBig
10-19-2007, 12:07 AM
jhaquett and JSP:

The rain was pretty spotty and light.

There are a lot of fish around JC, and A LOT of people too.

I fished a few really good spots closer to Lewiston also and there was nothing going on. I think it is way too early for that area.

The key to beating the crowd in JC when it's really crowded is to go above the put-ins. At least in my experience. You may encounter a few "treble-hookers" though. :wink:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-19-2007, 07:38 AM
I heard the Salmon where thick too.

Frank Pipgras
10-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Fished Saturday, October 13 with a buddy and a guide and Sunday the 14th by myself. Near Junction City the fishing and catching was simply outstanding while nymphing. Big numbers that I am not going to quote. You could float thru a tailout and see as many as 50 steelhead on the move. The next tailout might be empty and the one after that would be holding 40 fish. This run is big. Tough to walk in and find a spot that is empty but if you are floating, you can find some water.