PDA

View Full Version : KH Mayan Warrior

k.hanley
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/pacificextremes/KHMayanWarriorBurntOrangeversion.jpg

Say Hey Board Members………
I just wanted to give you folks a head start on this shrimp/streamer pattern. I know many of you are heading down to the Yucatan this coming season. We’ve been working hard on this pattern for the past three years. It’s created for those environs where shrimp and small baitfish dominate the prey populations. I’m happy to report that the tarpon absolutely destroyed this temptation (along with three other color variations).

We believe it now fits all our criteria in the design and application (light weight, extremely slow sinking, lots of movement, etc, etc). I'm always amazed at how affective things can be once we strip away the "extra stuff." Believe it or not, getting to this simplified pattern took years of redesign efforts. Inspiration initially came from the Seaducer series.
Enjoy!
Cheers, Ken
PS: The pattern will be showcased later this year (with step-by-step tying instructions, pictures, and full story).

Darian
10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Interesting looking fly... 8) 8) I can see an application for this fly in smaller sizes, olive color, in estuary fishing along the north coast.... Thanks. :D :D :D :D

sculpin
10-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey Ken
Thanks for thinking of us.

Mark

k.hanley
10-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Darian.......... Indeed olive is one of the versions. Dynamite color. We also narrowed down the color options to include yellow, and natural grey/tan. I don't see why it wouldn't have potential in our own estuaries. Give it a try and let me know how it does.

Sculpin.........No prob. My pleasure. I figured you folks would enjoy the pattern.
Cheers, Ken

Keith Kaneko
10-10-2007, 02:43 AM
I was fortunate enough to fish Ken's Mayan Warrior on our last trip to the Yucatan - Isla del Sabalo. It was truly amazing to experience how effective this pattern is - this fly resulted in some of the most aggressive and committed strikes that I have ever seen in baby Tarpon fishing.

There is no doubt that Tarpon love shrimp... Ken created a pattern that has an excellent "shrimpy" profile and used some materials that have incredible movement. Even more, the design of this fly is very lightweight, making it easy to cast with a soft presentation and, more importantly, able to fish in the Tarpon's feeding zone (top of the water column).

The Mayan Warrior was equally as effective on the flats and amongst the mangroves. This is a very universal pattern and, with the other color variations, this pattern covered most environs (turtlegrass, mangroves, mud flats, channels, etc...)

Well, congrats Ken on a wonderfully effective pattern. It was great to experience first-hand the hunger baby Tarpon have for this pattern.

Adam Grace
10-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Ken, cool fly......but that's an even cooler name for it!

k.hanley
10-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Adam............... Thanks bud. Being right in the heart of the Mayan Empire it just made sense to me.

Keith.............. I can still see your smile and hear you yellin' "Holy s..... whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! It's great when all the team work comes together.

The process of fly design and application is always a fun journey for me. It's especially gratifying to share with friends and family. Of course I generally don't mention the 100's of "misses" or "almost there" attempts in the creative process. Gotta love it when it all adds up and the fish put their stamp of approval on the fly.
Cheers, Ken

Hairstacker
10-10-2007, 11:42 AM
An interesting pattern to be sure. I can see it having applications in freshwater as well. I can just picture a smallmouth bass studying it, as it momentarily rests on the stream bottom with the materials undulating in the microcurrents, and then picking it up. . . . :D

k.hanley
10-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words Mike. I like your idea about it tempting smallies. Give it a go! I do know that largemouth responded very positive.

One note to consider. The beauty of the pattern is that it probably wouldn't rest on the stream bottom if there was a current involved. The only weight is the hook itself. The Warrior would hover in the strength of the current. Though it certainly could find its way to the bottom given a long enough pause without any current dynamics or puppeteering on your part.

I really like how the fly lets you work in the column. You can finese the presentation.
Cheers, Ken