PDA

View Full Version : Sage VS Gloomis

TaylerW
10-07-2007, 06:12 PM
how would you guys compare sages' 7110-4 Z-AXIS against gloomis' native run single spey 11 foot 7 wt?

Darian
10-07-2007, 09:10 PM
I've not casted the Loomis rod yet but have cast the Sage rod. Same model, same length but an 8wt. I found it very light and a delight to cast. As a single hander, I was able to double haul/shoot an entire WF line (105') in a slight breeze without much in the way of effort. Now, this was my first try at casting a two hander (....even tho I was using it as a single hander).

The only question in my mind is about lifting power on the Sage (don't know about the Loomis). The combination of the light weight and slim butt sections of the rod don't give me a lot of confidence for pulling on large, pelagic fish.

Even with all of that, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it weren't for the price point. Haven't checked recently, but I believe the two rods are competitively priced. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on an expensive rod when a similar rod from another manufacturer is priced much lower (e.g. Beulah, TFO, etc.)

Sorry I can't offer an evaluation of the Loomis for you.... :( :(

TaylerW
10-07-2007, 09:38 PM
price is not a problem i am happy to say, not that i have money, but i work at a shop for no money in order to spend little money on big money items. i love employee discounts. I got to mess with the gloomis, and i liked it, i am just looking for some opinions on which rod is better.

dtp916
10-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Do you like Winstons? 8)

TaylerW
10-08-2007, 07:32 AM
not a dealer, i wish

bubzilla
10-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I have been a loyal Sage customer for many years. That said, I would recommend that you go with the Loomis. I think it's a better fishing tool than the other rods that have been mentioned. And, without question, the Loomis warranty program can't be beat at this point.

I broke a 12 wt. GLX Cross Current in Baja this past August. When I got home, I entered the model number online along with my credit card to pay the $50.00 for the service, and in two days I had a brand new rod at my door step. I took the broken rod and put it in the box they provided, placed the return shipping label they provided on the box, and dropped the box off at the shipping place down the street from my work. Whole thing from my end didn't take 20 minutes of effort. It was great! Sad to say that has not been my experience with other rod makers when breakage has occurred. Get the Loomis. You'll be happy you did for a variety of reasons.

aaron
10-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Are you planning to use it for spey casting or high sticking? The sage excels with shooting head style lines (Skagit of AFS) while the Loomis native run is more of a high stick nymphing machine.

TaylerW
10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
if i buy one i am going to get a steelhead taper on one spool and a shorthead spey on the other