PDA

View Full Version : Fly Line; Rio Vs. SA Your Thoughts?

BigBill
10-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm in the market for a new WF5F line for my Scott V2 5wt (medium action). The choice is between Rio Grand and SA GPX Mastery. I will be using this line mostly at the E Carson and E Walker. The biggest water I frequent is the Truckee.

If you have used either or both of these products please let me know of any pros & cons and/or whether you would recommend the product and why or why not. Thanks in advance for your opinion.

jaybird
10-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Bill

I havnt used either of those products specifically. But I do have tons of experience with both brands. Rio lines float way better and last way longer. SA have some good tapers and some great sinking lines but I would take a rio line over SA every time.

Jay

BigBill
10-05-2007, 11:15 AM
However, considering that you are using a medium action 5wt you might want to get a trout taper or something instead of the Grande or GPX. These lines are weighted heavier and geared a bit more for "fast actioned tip type rods."

This is what I was wondering about. It specifically says, "For Fast Action Rods" on the box of Rio Grand. But the guy at the fly shop said they were both good all purpose lines. And they both happen to be on fall clearance right now. I don't have a whole lot of other options right now and need a line. Do you think I will I be pretty unhappy if I decide to go ahead and get the SA line while it is on sale? In the past I have primarily used Orvis Wonderline Advantage and Cortland Classic lines. Do you think I will notice much difference? Is there a specific line you would recommend regardless of price for my rod and type of fishing? I spend about 60% of my time on the water indicator nymphing and the rest is split between throwing larger dries, mostly size 18 and bigger or size 6-8 streamers.

dtp916
10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I have used both lines and would not recommend either one for your rod, since it is a medium action.

The Rio Grand and SA GPX are designed to load fast action graphite rods and are for those with quick, fluid casting strokes.

Rio is a high floater, SA is a slick shooter. I have had problems with SA sinking at the tip, and had problems with Rio gumming up.

What would you rather have a floater or a slick shooter? 8)

I would recommend a Rio Selective Trout line. A Sage Performance Taper II would be a close call too. SA makes a great new line that I have been testing called Sharkskin. Probably the sweetest line I have casted. Check out my post in New Products about it.

That said I love the GPX in willow, but would definitely get it with the Dry Tip technology. Even better are double tapers 8) Rio ST DT 5 would be an awesome line for casting, mending, nymphing, and you can switch ends when one is worn out. It's like 2 lines in one.

Adam Grace
10-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I like both lines but I also love the GPX in willow. That is my main line on my 4wt, nice and supple yet powerful enough to turn over wind resistant flies.

mr. 3 wt.
10-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Rio is my line of choice.

I have had durability problems with SA in the past.

Both lines cast great IMHO.

I use the salmon/steelhead taper on my 5 wt, cast like a rocket and floats with the best of them.

gryhackl
10-05-2007, 06:15 PM
BB
The I have used SA's for many years and currently have a couple GPX's in the Willow color that I like a lot, but keep in mind that the GPX lines are a half size heavier than regular line weights and therefore more appropriate for fast action rods. It depends on your style of casting, of course but on a medium action rod I have always been better off with a standard weight line.

BigBill
10-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks for your insight everyone. I think I am just going to stick with Orvis Wonderline for now since I know what to expect. I don't have the money to try out new products I might not like...

roostersgt
10-07-2007, 01:01 PM
For the money I like the Orvis Green Mountain lines. They are really slick, float well and I have one that has lasted on one of my 4 wts for the past 5 seasons. It's still supple and only cost about $10 on clearance from the Orvis website.

My two Rio lines are still both serviceable after a couple of years and I've never had any problems with any of the SA lines (GPX/XPS or their inexpensive lines). Though I have noticed the RIO lines to be a bit "thicker" in diameter and less slick than my SA, Orvis or Airflo lines.

slimfishin's
10-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I have been using SA mastery lines for several years now. I just switched to RIO and got the following lines:

7wt. Steelhead taper... So far I am not impressed. The line is waaay too long and the welded loop is annoying. I took off my old SA Steelhead taper, and still had to take off some backing. Then I ended up cutting off at least 10 feet off the back of the line. After taking it on my first trip, I was very frustrated with it's casting. So, the next thing I did was cut off the first 10 feet of the line. Now it casts great - especially now that I have a nice nail knot instead of a loop. The mending is fine, but I think the SA was better. Time will tell what happens, but I think I would stick with SA.

The other lines are a 6wt nymph taper and a 5wt Rio Grand. We'll see how they do, but I'm not holding my breath.

Amador
10-29-2007, 08:36 AM
I am all about the Rio nymph line! I love it.

dtp916
10-29-2007, 01:40 PM
My Rio Nymph line gummed up really bad and I had to throw it out.

FISHEYE
10-31-2007, 10:10 AM
I fish both Rio and SA. I do find my Rio lines (both salt and freshwater) seem to get a bit sticky over time but the SAs don't. However, I really like the neon orange loop in the Rio nymph lines. They provide great visibility and I have not been able to break one, no matter how hard I intentionally try. However, I recently purchased a Cabela's prestige plus saltwater line. I think it is made by SA but they are quite a bit less expensive. A buddy and I were practice casting the other day on a snow covered football field and we were both impressed with the cabelas line. I'll try it out in Belize in the next week and post a report.