PDA

View Full Version : Wader care/maintenance question

Scott V
10-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Other than hosing off my waders and allowing them to dry, is there any other things I should or should not do with my waders. I would like to make them last as long as possible. Is it ok to keep them in the mesh bag that they came with? Do I need to spray them with anything to help with the breathability or waterproofness.

thanks for any helpful info

Matt Frey
10-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I think keeping your waders clean and dry are key. If they ever get too funky you can use Nikwax Tech Wash. At least that is what I have done and my waders are still in good shape. Nikwax works good on rain coats too.

jhaquett
10-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Try a very pure soap like Ivory to keep them mostly as waterproof as they were from the factory. I like to do this after every outing.

They have a spray that fly shops sell that keep them super waterproof also.

My routine is hang them up, spray them with water and then a 409/water (just in case you have any new zealand snails) mixture, wash that off, then wash them with Ivory. Hang till dry then hang them in the closet. Works good. 8)

WinterrunRon
10-01-2007, 11:30 PM
I like to do this after every outing.

My routine is hang them up, spray them with water and then a 409/water (just in case you have any new zealand snails) mixture, wash that off, then wash them with Ivory. Hang till dry then hang them in the closet. Works good. 8)

Man, I've never heard of such a routine. Rinse, wash, rinse, wash again, dry, hang in a closet? Where do you find the time?

Here's mine: Put them on to fish, take them off to sleep, put them on to fish...

Actually, I do more than that, I turn them inside out to dry the inside first and if there's time before I fish again, reverse them to dry the outside. But that's it! Just as waterproof as the day I bought them and they're well into year 2 going on 3 and have never seen rinse water, let alone soap.

I can't imagine them lasting longer by washing them. No clothing seems to last longer if you wash it. Cleaner, maybe, but lasting longer? My stuff doesn't :? . Just my experience...

BigBill
10-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Is it considered bad to wash your waders in the washing machine on the gentle cycle and then hang dry? I have been doing this for years with no problems. Does anyone else do this?

Matt Frey
10-02-2007, 08:20 AM
I have Orvis waders. Once I forgot to dry them and they smelled like mildew. The guy at Orvis recommended that I use the Nikwax that I mentioned above and to use a washing machine. I have only had to do this on two occassions. The rest of the time I just let them dry and pack them away. So far so good.

erhetta
10-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Ron, I am with ya there.

Last week I fished 4 days....I put em on, take em off, shake em out, lay them flat in my trunk....they are dry the next day.....repeat.

I think that if I take a couple week break....yeah right....I might hang them up and let them breathe a bit.

jhaquett
10-02-2007, 12:00 PM
I haven't had any issues Ron...I think it is possible that you fish more than I do ( :mrgreen: , I guess that's the best envious emotican).

I have two jobs, an internship and a full time school schedule. Then when I don't have those my that means my girlfriend is coming back from her school on the east coast and that happens to take a whole lot of my time. So If I EVER had the luxury of some kind of fishing trip like erhetta said (4 days of fishing) I wouldn't wash them like I do until after the trip and if I wasn't going again for a couple of weeks. If I am going soon enough I will just hang them back up in the closet.... :D

BigBill,

I've thrown mine in the washer a few times and it seems to work well.

jaybird
10-02-2007, 12:37 PM
sheeshh...you guys make me feel guilty for not doing anything but hang em up in the garage when I get home :D I have stopped leaving them in the back of my truck tho.

Jay