PDA

View Full Version : A Trip North

bolden
09-30-2007, 03:11 PM
After seeing WinterRunRon's post about burney creek and a few other places, i decided to head north to see the fall colors. Burney Creek is
gorgeous right now, with lots of trees turning yellow. It should be incredible in a week or two. The Upper Sac was also nice, but not as
much color as Burney Creek.

Anyway, my first stop was at a creek i did not even know the name of. The creek is between Redding and Burney on highway 299, its Hatchet
Creek. It is about 3 miles before the pass, and you actually drive over a bridge over the creek. I never figured there were fish there, but i
decided to go down to take pictures because of the changing colors of the trees. After i got down to the creek, i noticed the water was gorgeous,
and then i started spooking fish. So, i got my rod and went fishing. I was already in waders because it was a downpour at the time, and even
with a waterproof jacket my upper body was wet. The fishing was incredible, as the creek was stuffed with gorgeous and extremely hungry
browns. They weren't big, but they were fun and easy to catch on dries. My fish picture didn't turn out well as my hands were numb and shaking
when i tried to take the picture. Here are some pictures of the creek.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/Photography/Landscape/DSC_1102.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/Photography/Landscape/DSC_1113.jpg

After Hatchet Creek i went to Burney Creek. I spent about a half hour taking pictures at the falls, then i went downstream to take pictures of the
creek. While i was taking pictures, i noticed a small clump of grass on a rock in the stream that was crawling with stones. When i finished taking
pictures, i put on a stimulator and had fun getting some fish on dries. Here are some pictures from Burney Falls and the creek below.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/Photography/Landscape/DSC_1122.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/Photography/Landscape/DSC_1149.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/Photography/Landscape/DSC_1154.jpg

The next morning i woke up early and got up to Mosbrae Falls on the Upper Sac well before the sun hit it. I took pictures for at least an hour,
and then started fishing. Unfortunately, i couldn't find any fish feeding on the surface, so i reluctantly put on a stone nymph, and in my first run
caught a 16 inch rainbow. It was pretty slow after that, but that first fish was fine with me. Here are some pictures of Mosbrae Falls.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/Photography/Landscape/DSC_1206.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/Photography/Landscape/DSC_1207.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/Photography/Landscape/DSC_1199.jpg

All of these pictures were taken with my d50 and Tokina 12-24 with a polarizer and ND filter (this just cuts the light for longer exposures),
except for the pano of Burney Falls, which was with my 90mm macro.

PatrickM
09-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Great pics. How long are you exposing those pics for? The effect with the moving water is sweet.

Adam Grace
09-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Those are great shot Ben, very nice. You should submit a couple of those in the next contest.

bolden
09-30-2007, 04:25 PM
How long are you exposing those pics for?

All of these pics are from 1.5 to 10 seconds.

Adam, i will definitely be entering these in the next contest.

Mik
09-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Your photos have me wanting to go there right now. The good thing is I have a trip planned with the fella's next week to go up there.

Langenbeck
09-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Ben: As usual your photographs are magazine quality. Really some excellent photography.

Paul B.
09-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I always enjoy your pics Ben. Thank you. Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Great Ben

Maybe we can trade for use of some of your photos?

bolden
10-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Great Ben

Maybe we can trade for use of some of your photos?

That would be great, what kind of things are you thinking about trading?

Frank Alessio
10-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Wow ..... Fantastic Photography.... I was born in Dunsmuir and can never see too much of it... You need to get a couple of shots of Mt. Shasta with that Camera... Thanks Frank

kokaneejr
10-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Ben, as all have said beautiful photos. I am leaving to fish Hat and Burney Falls on Oct.15 so I am hoping for some nice fall colors and good weather.

I have some questions for you. I am a chicken when it comes to my D70 and water. I usually just shoot with my Optio. Do you scout an area and photograph it then get your rod and fish it or vise versa. Or are you just braver than I am and fish with your camera. Also do you use a tripod or a nearby rock or branch to steady your shots.

Again impressive work I can hardly wait the 2 weeks...Craig.

Adam Grace
10-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Craig, you can buy waterproof cases for d-SLR's. Simms makes one called the Dry Creek Camera Bag:

http://www.simmsfishing.com/images/products/zoom/pu-dcb5_zoom.jpg

You should try a flexible tripod like this for your D-SLR, especially if you want to take pictures like Ben's, you cannot hand hold a shot with a long exposure like those.

Here's a picture:

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8263/8263531_sa.jpg

I use a small version for my Optio, they make a larger version for D-SLR's.

They will bend around and grip rocks, or limbs or trees. I love mine.

bolden
10-01-2007, 10:01 PM
I have some questions for you. I am a chicken when it comes to my D70 and water. I usually just shoot with my Optio. Do you scout an area and photograph it then get your rod and fish it or vise versa. Or are you just braver than I am and fish with your camera. Also do you use a tripod or a nearby rock or branch to steady your shots.

I am brave i guess, as i carry my camera everywhere i fish. I have a small lowepro bag that holds the d50 and one lens attatched. I first put
the camera in a big plastic zip-loc bag, and then into the lowepro. I have fallen in a couple of times and it has been fine. My accessories are in a
different plastic bag, usually with a beanie for some added protection against bumps.

If i plan on doing landscape shots, i bring my tripod. It is a Gitzo knockoff, but it is carbon fiber and very stable. Most of my shots were
from 4 to 8 seconds, so a tripod is very nice to have.

For a couple of the shots i posted, you could get away with just using a rock. For example, there is a rock wall (short) to keep people from
falling off the steep side while looking at Burney Falls. You could easily put your camera there and take nice long exposures. Then again, it is
extremely easy to get to burney falls, so you could easily take some pictures with a tripod, and then go back and get your fishing stuff.

If you feel brave, i think adams suggestions would help relieve some worries of destroying your camera. You can always put your camera in a
couple of zip-loc bags before you put it in the waterproof bag, just to be safe.

Good luck on your trip, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Jasonh
10-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Ben,

Are you taking all of these shots in manual mode and setting all your functions for your shot or another mode? They are absolutely amazing!

OceanSunfish
10-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Awesome!

Steve's Digicams did a marvelous review on the D50 and you certainly backed it up.

Makes me want to delve back into photography again. Unfortunately, too little resources and time. I still got a box of FE and FM bodies. These are film cameras for you young'uns out there.

WinterrunRon
10-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Really, really nice pics! You are a brave dude. My good stuff never sees the water's edge. I'm just too prone to dunking it. But it's cool that you're willing to spend fishable hours to capture the beauty of the area. Glad you found inspiration to head up. :)

kokaneejr
10-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Adam and Ben, thanks for the tips. I have one of those tripods for the Optio and I am going to bring it and try it out. I also am (hopefully if the fish gods cooperate) going to take an underwater shot. Never thought of a waterproof bag I have one for kayaking. :)

Probably not bringing my Nikon to the water I am just to clumsy, but I will try the hike down first to photo and back to fish. Maybe I can learn something about the river and improve my odds while photographing first. These next 2 weeks of work will be tough as I dream about fishing those streams. Thanks again...Craig.

WinterrunRon
10-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Craig,

If I may make a suggestion...

Take adequate precautions. Hatchet Creek, Burney Creek and the Upper Sacramento are far kinder places to photographic equipment than the Pit will ever be.Two issues for you to consider: 1. If the Pit River isn't the most difficult river in the nation to wade, I'd like to hear what is. I haven't fished them all, but it's gotta be ranked #1 for difficulty in the state. You'll fall in, I promise. 2. The river has about 2ft of clarity. Most of the fish will be in heavy, oxygenated current or more accurately, just below it. Often, its river center. Difficult at best to get a good shot. But I thought I'd offer you my recent experience and wish you the best. I look forward to your posted trip and shots upon your return.

jhaquett
10-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Ron,

When I posted a while ago about my Pit trip I mentioned that the wading wasn't as difficult as expected according to other's words. It is a wild place and you are forced to get quite deep and you will stumble a few times, but have you ever fished the Upper Sac?

You wanted to know a #1 other than the Pit, I'm telling you, that place is SO frustrating to wade in. Maybe that's what I consider when wading, the frustration level. The Pit isn't frustrating, just tedious. But the Upper Sac, in shin deep water you feel like you're on oily ice! It is really tough and a bit scary when you get out waist deep in there and its basically impossible to get any deeper than that without floating downstream a ways after falling...

That's another place where I would be extremely hesitant to bring any nice photographic gear!

robdog
10-03-2007, 08:30 AM
I would rank the McCloud close to the Pit. There are so many boulders you have to be very careful to not to fall & break your rod/reel. I haven't, but I know people that have.

Adam Grace
10-03-2007, 05:44 PM
I would rank the Upper Sac above the McCloud, but with that said, I agree with robdog, the McCloud is worse than the pit, the rocks are more slippery, but the scenery is better IMHO.

WinterrunRon
10-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Josh, I have yet to fish the Upper Sac, but I'll take your word on it.

Been to the McCloud. Beautiful area, gorgeous stream. Quite frankly, I don't rememer it being all that difficult to walk and wade. I remember not catching as many fish. My difficulty rating doesn't register until I fall in. Fished the Pit 3 days, lost my footing and fell in each day, but only once above the waders! :oops: Thank goodnes for backups! :)

But taking into account the nasty berry bushes, thick undergrowth, whatever the heck the prickly stuff is, limited water clarity and lack of a good streamside trail in many areas, to me, the Pit is more challenging.

Guess the Upper Sac is going on my "hit" list. :D

jhaquett
10-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Yea that's the key with the Pit, the streamside vegetation! That stuff is nasty. If you add that crap into the entire situation it puts Pit at #1. My legs were butchered (I wore shorts) and my arms and hands were numb from the 9 foot stinging nettle plants that I continuously ran into. Fun place... 8)

dtp916
10-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Ben, you're killing me with these photos! So freakin sweet!