PDA

View Full Version : Putting our name where our mouth is...

Nip Hadlock
09-29-2007, 08:37 AM
I frequent another fly fishing board and that board has a movement underway to have members use real names rather than handles.
It's less than scientific but it does seem to cut down on the sniping. Generally the quality of the dialogue improves. :)

One way to think about it...

When walking down the sidewalk if the person in front of me is slow I don't usually start hollering to "get going" and flip that person off when I hustle by...or if a person crosses in front of me abruptly on the sidewalk I don't start shouting curses at them...like I would anonymously in my car.
Likewise maybe the use of my real name minimizes the urge to treat fellow board travelers disrespectfully.

Lot's of good contributors are reluctant to participate in the forum and sometimes go away for a while or forever due to their perception of the treatment they get or the general tone of the board. :(

What I try to do on these boards is limit my input. If it's about fly fishing then I go with it...if it is about or involves someone else and I can't make my point respectfully without knocking someone or thier opinion then I leave it alone...I am often surprised that the world generally runs OK without me adding my bit everytime I get an urge to educate or fix someone... :shock:

As evidenced by this post...I don't always manage to avoid jumping in... :oops:

I thought about adding this note to the full moon post since the board tone turned so nasty in the past handful of days...it's probably a passing phase.. :lol:

David Lee
09-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Good points as usual , Nip .

Manners are manners - they do seem in short supply lately .

I tend to look at a board (such as this one ...) as a real room . Walk in , take a look around , and MEASURE where everyone's at before smoking , running the mouth , etc. .

It boggles my mind sometimes ..... the attitude that some get while in front of the 'puter screen :? .

David

Adam Grace
09-29-2007, 08:59 AM
I also agree, good point Nip.

Frank Alessio
09-29-2007, 02:59 PM
It kind of goes hand in hand with lack of a personal profile also.....Frank Alessio

Charlie Gonzales
09-29-2007, 03:44 PM
As in all aspects of life I think its best not to JUDGE others, especially if you have never met them and spent time with them. And even then we are all individuals who are different. On a board like this take it for what its worth... one persons opinion, whether you agree or not, and move on.
With written word you never can tell where someones coming from. I have a weird sense of humor and some of the things I may write may not come across the way I want. I have posted things, come back later and re-read them and want to deleat it, but if people are going to judge others regarding fishing then we have a long way to go. But I always remember that my name is at the bottom of the page and try to represent Kienes in a positive manner. Just my opinion.

Gregg Machel
09-30-2007, 04:22 AM
If anyone wants to change their username, let me know. There is a "back end" way to get this done directly on the Database. I did this with my account last year. It also is retroactive to all of your old posts too.

BTW, this is my first post here on my new iMAC. I never thought I would get a MAC, but sooner or later I have to learn it since they are starting to get more popular now. :)

Tony Buzolich
09-30-2007, 05:22 AM
Geez, this is great to hear that some other folks out there feel the same about using "real " names.

I just find it hard when I run into another board regular to try and recall TWO names, let alone ONE.

And Frank, you brought out another good point about user's having a personal profile. This needs to be handled by the board administrator, but, if everyone were required to fill out a "personal profile" AND at that time fill in their real name (whether they use it or not) at least it would be available for those of us who like to use proper names.

I still can't figure out why so many guys have to use a "handle". The days of CB radios and trucker convoy talk are a thing of the past.

TONY

Jay Murakoshi
09-30-2007, 05:33 AM
Gregg,

Way to go, I think you'll love the iMac. Now just figure out how to upload mac files to my original ISP. Which mac did you get - a desk top or a lap top. I'm looking at a new lap top right now. I have the desk top with the 24" monitor.

Good luck

Jay

OceanSunfish
09-30-2007, 08:20 AM
As in all aspects of life I think its best not to JUDGE others, especially if you have never met them and spent time with them. And even then we are all individuals who are different. On a board like this take it for what its worth... one persons opinion, whether you agree or not, and move on.
With written word you never can tell where someones coming from. I have a weird sense of humor and some of the things I may write may not come across the way I want. I have posted things, come back later and re-read them and want to deleat it, but if people are going to judge others regarding fishing then we have a long way to go. But I always remember that my name is at the bottom of the page and try to represent Kienes in a positive manner. Just my opinion.

I have to agree completely.

I feel I get to read "opinions" from folks that would otherwise not post them if they were to use their real name, for fear of retribution, stereotyping, categorizing, etc. I hope my posts have been civil, positive, supported by facts, on topic, and even educational as well, and I will continue to do so going forward as I have much respect for the Kiene business and name.

I know there have been a few "oddball" posts where there was obvious intent to mess with the BB. Otherwise, I feel pretty good about this BB and it's the reason I post here and not too many other places.

In summary, I'm okay with "usernames" because I will not judge someone unless I've been introduced personally and got to know them over time. Too many times, I've been on the 'water' and seen people quick to judge other anglers just by being in the same riffle, beach, tailout, and slough without a single word exchanged.

BTW, I will continue to go by my "'puter" name until I don't have to carry a high end Gov't DOD security clearance where everything I post on the WWW is monitored. :wink:

p/s I like the names like "WinterRunRon", et al. I hope someday I can cross paths with Ron on the river and say, "I'm OSF", and get a big laugh from him and not a "knuckle sandwich". :D

Terry Thomas
09-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Great idea for the 99% honest board members. Unfortunately, there is at least one guy who uses several names to slam people because he has been banned on various sites.

sculpin
09-30-2007, 10:24 AM
I have no feelings one way or another about using names or handles. I always end a post with my name because it makes it more personal to me. About the only reason I can see for not giving out to much information on line is for security issues. There are a lot of odd people on the internet and when we tell everyone we'll be gone fishing for two weeks, it's a open invitation to get ripped off. All they need is a name and town to find your home.
If everyone decides it's a good idea to use names, I'll drop the handle. I don't like it much myself, the first board I signed on to everyone was using a handle and I figured no one would use this one.

Mark

Hairstacker
09-30-2007, 12:51 PM
The only reason I use a handle is for security reasons. I am willing to face anyone in person with respect to any of the posts I have posted on this Board -- that is the standard I set for myself. I might be willing to drop the handle if I can convince myself there are no security issues involved.