PDA

View Full Version : electric motor advice needed

Mike Churchill
09-28-2007, 09:17 PM
My dad, who lives in San Diego, has decided he's getting too old to put on the waders and strap on the float tube :( , so he just went out and bought me an early Christmas present: a 1972 12-foot Gregor aluminum boat that he's giving to me to keep at my house. :D

So, it came with a non-functional electric motor. While my dad hunts Craigslist for a slightly used four-stroke outboard, I'm in charge of acquiring an electric. I'd like to get one that I could use on the transom for now and then switch up to the bow once we get the gas motor. Is that possible? Or are the necessary shaft-lengths too different?

Also, how much thrust do I need to push a 12-footer? 25? 35? More?

Any information regarding the different brands would also be appreciated. It's all new to me.

Mike

mark m
10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi Mike,
I use a 55lb Minnkota Maxxum on my 10.5' portabote. It works well, but I generally only go up to 50% output on the thrust which will usually last all day that's assuming that the battery is in good shape.

What I learned is that the marine battery should be charged once a month or else you will lose battery life. This is just my experience. My first marine wet cell battery only lasted two years from my neglect.

Hope that helps.
Mark

Mike Churchill
10-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the tip.

My dad and grandfather delivered the boat today. Sweet old boat. :D

I was on my way to Walmart to shop for a trolling motor tonight when I picked up a hilarious message from my dad. My grandfather spent many years buying an selling boats, RV's, trucks, etc. for fun and profit. When they got back to his place in Fresno my dad found a slightly used Minn-Kota 34-lb. thrust motor in my grandfather's garage. :shock:

So now I don't have to buy a motor. :)

Driving down to get it on Saturday.

The question is, where do I test it out on Sunday? Rancho Seco for bass and bluegill? Lake Amador to hunt for the rod I lost back in January? :o

Suggestions for a short trip from Sacto?