PDA

View Full Version : kinda cool- you should read it

TaylerW
09-24-2007, 08:35 PM
http://edurecadv.org/Fly%20Fishing.html

Adventures with Science Jeff

http://edurecadv.org/Blog/96E0B70C-56A6-4A6F-9E62-504C0273AE49_files/IMGP0418.jpg

Trading Guiding on Willamina Creek for Fly-tying

I was buying some last minutes supplies for Fly Fishing Camp at Joe’s Sporting Goods and was helped by a very friendly and knowledgeable employee, a young man who was an entering senior in high school. We started talking about fly fishing and when he heard about Fly Fishing Camp, he got very excited. He said that we would have given anything to have learned to fly fish in this way. He told me how he had read books and taught himself the basics. I was very impressed with is enthusiasm for fly fishing. It rare these days to meet a teenager so into fly fishing.

I invited him to come to Fly Fishing Camp but he was going on vacation with his family and could not come. When he heard that I was a licensed guide, he ask me how much I would charge to teach him how to fish for trout in small Willamette Valley streams. One thing led to another and before I knew it, we had a barter going: he would tie all the flies for camp and I would take him fishing on a few creeks in Yamhill County, we’re I do a lot of outdoor programs.

With only one week until camp, he tied approximately 80 flies and I took him fishing on Rock Creek and Willamina Creek, both tributaries of the South Yamhill River in Yamhill County. We started out on Rock Creek, where I had caught numbers of larger cutthroats in late spring. The creek looked promising but the fishing was a bust so we moved on to Willamina Creek. We drove about 5 miles upstream of the town of Willamina and started fishing. He was a good caster but seemed to have many troubles with tangles and flies caught in the tree. This was to be his day to catch fish. Therefore it was embarrassing to me and somewhat frustrating to him that I had caught 5 nice cutts before he even got started in earnest.

Soon, however, he was into it and hooked a cutthroat on a caddis pattern that I tied that put a nice bend in his 5 weight rod. He spent so much time landing the fish and gave it so much slack that it got off. Next, we moved to a major riffle that dumped into a deep pool. I instructed him to run his fly along the seam between fast and slow moving water and bam, first cast he brought a 11” cutthroat to the net. This was followed by at least 5 more from this riffle-pool before we moved upstream to some undisturbed water.

In all, the two of us caught and released more than 20 trout that day. That was one happy kid. I felt like a very successful guide and enjoyed the fish that I caught myself. We had made an even trade. I got the flies for camp and he was introduced to the techniques and strategies for fishing Willamette Valley creeks for cutthroat on a creek that was less than 45 minutes from his home. I plan to call on this guy to assist me in future fly fishing classes for kids.

this is about me- take from www.edurecadv.org- this is a guy who helps mrdd/ abused children learn how to love the outdoors, visit the site!!

Adam Grace
09-24-2007, 08:59 PM
The sport of fly fishing needs more guys like you, great story.