PDA

View Full Version : Full moon Wednesday night, September 26th.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't like a full moon for lake fishing or salt water flats but I think the Steelhead and Salmon like it.

What do you think?

jhaquett
09-24-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't know, I always assume the full moon is a bad idea for fishing the next day? I always try to avoid it...

Ed Wahl
09-24-2007, 08:54 PM
The freak'n werewolves are all over the good riffles. :lol: Just couldn't resist.

Paul B.
09-24-2007, 11:18 PM
I have to agree with J. I never do as well after a full moon and a clear night. PB

WinterrunRon
09-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Ditto. The day before full and a couple afterwords are reserved for gearing up for the latest run of fish and repairing stuff around the house which seems to break somehow between the time I go to bed and the time I wake up without anyone having used whatever it is that broke and needs repair. :?

I never do well fishing during this time... but I think I'll try just one more time this month just to prove my past experience valid. :D

Paul B.
09-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Quote-"but I think I'll try just one more time this month just to prove my past experience valid"

Cheers Ron. PB

David Lee
09-25-2007, 12:59 AM
DAMMMMM !!!

THAT'S why I'm so drunk an' mental ....... :P

The Devil :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Scott V
09-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Full moon, no moon, I don't care, I am going fishing. I will be out tonight, tomorrow, and Friday. I will post on my thoughts of steelies and the full moon over the next few days.

jbird
09-25-2007, 06:34 AM
I honestly havnt noticed the moon phase to effect steelhead fishing. I have heard saltwater guys talk about it but it has more to do with its effect on the tides. So when is the best time to fish?...whenever you can :D

Jay

Adam Grace
09-25-2007, 11:29 AM
"When ever I can," is my largest determining factor! :D

Rick J
09-25-2007, 11:39 AM
At least on the Klamath I try to stay away from the full moon - if the river is foggy and overcast - not as much of a problem but clear nights and full moons - maybe gets the fish moving and not grabbing??

Tony Buzolich
09-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Don't you guys ever fish at night. The stripers have been going crazy around here at night and there are lots of guys out throwing pencil poppers to prove it.

Several of our customer have been hitting the mouth of the Bear, and others are hitting Knights Landing again. Jumbo minnows and Hair Raisers early, and poppers at dark. (Not to mention a few fly guys as well).

They're still here and they don't seem to want to go away.

TONY

gryhackl
09-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Do stripers howl at the moon?

BigBill
09-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Isn't Bass fishing supposed to be a lot better during the full moon cycle? I dunno, I personally think it's all hocus pocus superstitious nonsense. I'm 100% certain our chances of catching ANY type of fish greatly improve by being out on the water...

Mik
09-30-2007, 05:24 PM
I plan around the moons for trips. I think that since the fish are eating at night, they don't necessary see the food as well. So they end up eating a ton of organic matter along with a ton of bugs. There internal systems are probably a mess. Just a thought.

Hairstacker
10-02-2007, 12:19 AM
This topic came up twice before so I'll just say what I did before:

In Douglas "The Bass Professor" Hannon's book, "Big Bass Magic," he details the results of a study of big largemouth bass he had caught during various moon phases. He charted the results of 307 big (5-16 pound) bass against the lunar phases and found that he typically experienced the best fishing (catch rates per hour) for big bass during the dark moon, except during the summer and winter when his catch rates were highest during the full moon. Interestingly, he experienced his lowest catch rates during the spring and fall around the full moon.

He also reviewed the IGFA listings of world records and found that the 3 days on each side of the full and dark moons plus the day of each 1/2-moon produced 73% of the world records from 1970 through 1979. The world records for striper hybrid, redeye bass, rock bass, spotted bass, redear sunfish, warmouth, red breast sunfish, sauger, and tiger trout were ALL caught within a 3-day period on either side of the full moon. As of that point in time, the world records for striped bass and smallmouth bass had also been set during this 3-day timeframe around the full moon. In fact, looking at the graph, it appears the world record striped bass was caught on the very day of the full moon.

On the other hand, I tracked my largemouth bass catch rates over a season against lunar phases and found absolutely no correlation either way. I concluded it's best to go fishing whenever you can and haven't paid attention to lunar phases since.

By the way, Hannon also found that most of his really big bass (over 10 lbs) were caught between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. This coming from a guy who had literally caught 100's (over 400?) of such fish by the time of the book's publication.

Katz
10-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Great facts. Fishing research, what could be better! :D

Katz

WinterrunRon
10-02-2007, 07:42 AM
and found that he typically experienced the best fishing (catch rates per hour) for big bass during the dark moon, except during the summer and winter when his catch rates were highest during the full moon. Interestingly, he experienced his lowest catch rates during the spring and fall around the full moon.

Hannon also found that most of his really big bass (over 10 lbs) were caught between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. This coming from a guy who had literally caught 100's (over 400?) of such fish by the time of the book's publication.

Mike,

Thanks for passing on the info from the book. Very interesting.

Whatever Mr. Hannon says is good enough for me. Guess I'll have to include a few more fishable days into my calandar! :D

Did he provide a reasoning as to why he felt the catch rates occurred at the time they did?