PDA

View Full Version : Boat suggestions needed - Budget conscious

erhetta
09-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Ok, so I dont know if there is a good answer for my query, but here goes:

First constraint: $$$ I dont have a bunch of $$$ to spend, I am actually looking at around $500 to spend initially for something that floats.

I want something I can put on the lower a and feel safe in. I want to be able to carry 2 peeps with fly rods and a cooler.

I would like it to be car-top'able. I dont have a truck and really dont want to pay storage for a trailer. I figure on getting a nice trolling motor for it eventually, but would just drift at first.

I have been looking at 12-14 aluminum boats like the greggor and sears. For my price range, they are rivited, and I know welded is better, but will this do? I am all over CL looking for used.

I have also been looking at the Sea Eagle SE9 inflatable. This seems to be right about for what I want, but have not heard much about inflatables other than pontoons on these boards. I know for drifting, I would not put the floor in the inflatable, but for fishing from Grissmill down, there are not many rapids to worry about.

Help...suggestions....advice....???

I really value the opinions of most that I have spoken to on these boards and really don't want to do the wrong thing just because I am anxious to get out there.

erhetta
09-24-2007, 02:48 PM
So, this is exactly what I am thinking of.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/429904258.html

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-24-2007, 07:27 PM
I think 12 foot aluminum v-bow is going to be the least expensive thing out there.

Be careful because some have round bottoms and aren't much better than a canoe for standing and casting. Very unstable.

Valco, Gregor and Western are good brands.

In the spring time in the Sacramento Bee Classifieds there can be lots of boats. Take your time.

A really great boat is a 14' John boat that is 48" at the bottom-rear. Tracy and Andy here have these boats.

TaylerW
09-24-2007, 08:39 PM
i have a guy up here in oregon who has a small really nice drift boat for sale-
his number is - 503 580 2796