PDA

View Full Version : American made

BillyB
09-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Do you care if your fly fishing products are made in the USA? Everytime I read about someone on this site offering advice to new fly fisherman I'm amazed how the advice directs the new customers towards cheap products made overseas. Many of these companies don't even state where they make their products on their sites but they sure give the apperance that they are made in the USA.

Adam Grace
09-22-2007, 03:19 PM
IMHO, if all of the fly fishing gear goes over seas the quality level will significantly drop.

Digger
09-22-2007, 04:16 PM
That's a pretty broad statement AG.
I understand the perception of quality and lack of, or even feelings of nationality and so forth.
However, there are very valid reasons that some things are not made here.

Fishing equipment . . . I can't really speak about.
My Denali's nice, but Oh my, if it were just made in Stuttgart.
Mattel just did an about face in blaming China over their own design flaws.

Didn't we already go over this stuff on a previous 'Hardy' thread?

Adam Grace
09-22-2007, 04:32 PM
That statement was supposed to be broad! I have no desire to write much more than what is below.

Since I have worked in the industry for over 7 years I have seen cheap and generic copies of quality American made products that were made in Pakistan, China and other overseas countries. Now not all NON-American made products are bad, but when the bottom line is compromised to make an inferior product the quality and specialization will suffer. If you do not agree with me that's great, this is my opinion and if you'd like to talk to me about me about my experience in this industry send me a PM and we can talk but I am not giving this topic any more attention requiring me to type a research paper about this topic.

Ed Wahl
09-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Adam, the overseas made fly rods are simply filling a void here in the good ole USA. American rod companies have simply priced themselves out of the entry or casual flyfisherman market, or in my case, the poor flyfisherman market :). I personally would rather buy american but the sad fact is that I normally can't afford to. If Sage, Scott,Winston, or any other American rod maker offered lower priced products I would never buy an import again. Your right, it's not easy(or even possible) to discuss this topic without going off on a tangent about global econimics, treaties, tariffs, etc.,etc. Bet your wishing that you never brought it up huh. I'm thinking this thread will die young, at least I hope it does. Ed

Digger
09-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Exactly.
There may be a need filled by any given product due to numerous qualifications, not soley based by country of origin or level of quality.
Unfortunately this may impact the 'higher level' companies revenues, or even at times their reputation, that's the down side.

Sorry Ed, had to breathe a bit more life into it.

HC
09-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Yea, Red white and blue, USA. I am to old to change now. Quality is difficult to describe on paper but easy to notice in the hand. Craftsmanship is driven by pride, not to imitate but to originate. I know that all foriegn stuff is not junk, but I also know that my $$$ spent on offshore goods does go to foreign pockets. I remember a thing called a spin Joy reel when I was a kid, I thought it would replace my Ocean city. What a piece of junk it was! This country is losing its manufacturing base and this is evidently helped along by NAFTA and WTO agreements. You may disagree but my mind is set on it. HC