PDA

View Full Version : Burney area help

kokaneejr
09-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Going up to the Burney, Hat Creek area the second week of October and wondering if anyone heard any reports? I talked with Vaugn's but wanted to see if anybody had fished there recently. I plan on camping at upper hat in Lassen, Highway 89 and fishing Burney Creek below the falls, and the Hat creek area above and below Highway 299. I understand 299 to lake Britton is a hike but it looks interesting on a map. I love to nymph faster water and just looking to C&R. Fished here 2 years ago and caught lots of brookies in upper hat and some nice rainbows at Burney Creek in a place I still call the most beautiful I have ever fished. Not to interesed in the Powerhouse Area. Thanks for any info,Craig.

jhaquett
09-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Try the Pit, local reports are getting better and better as far as the isonychia hatch is concerned, and this weather is going to help pick up all fishing. The fishing should be pretty good on the Pit right now.

Terry Thomas
09-22-2007, 01:11 PM
If you want to fish in faster water you may wish to fish below the Hat Creek park on 299. You can walk down stream on the north side of the creek all the way to the barrier. A second choice would be to drive in to the lower section of the creek. Take the road @1/4 back up the hill (west) towards Burney. Be careful on the dirt road. They have had trucks taking gravel out for local road work. Follow the road to the bottom of the mountain (stay to the right on the forks in the road). The area is now fenced off to cars so you will have a short hike to the creek. Very nice this time of the year.
T.

MrBig
09-23-2007, 02:47 PM
A second choice would be to drive in to the lower section of the creek. Take the road @1/4 back up the hill (west) towards Burney. Be careful on the dirt road. They have had trucks taking gravel out for local road work. Follow the road to the bottom of the mountain (stay to the right on the forks in the road). The area is now fenced off to cars so you will have a short hike to the creek. Very nice this time of the year.
T.

There is some great water down the gravel/dirt road. The hike is maybe a few hundred yards from the end of the road/parking area. Plus, you can walk to the Pit from there. Way too much erosion upstream from there. As much as I love to fish the 299 bridge up to the powerhouse, I won't. Haven't been there for a few months though. Good luck!!

kokaneejr
09-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Thanks guys,
It sounds like parking at the county park is the way to go. Didn't know I could fish the Pit along the way. Sounds like a great spot.

What can I expect hiking wise. Can I do it in waders or should I stocking foot hiking boots and change later. Planning to make a whole day of it here will sounds like I have plent of water to explore. Thanks again.Craig.

MrBig
09-26-2007, 12:56 AM
There is some distance to cover if you want to. Especially if you park at the county park. If it were me, I would take the dirt road on the left, just before you hit the park. There is some great water down there with small pockets. And if I wanted to fish the carbon flats (keep in mind the erosion issues), I would go up the dirt road a few hundred yards past the county park on the right. There is a big metal gate that should be unlocked. Just make sure you close it after you pass through it. If you go here, the road will split a ways down. Stay to the right. You'll hit a dirt parking lot right at the water. There is a DFG box there. Walk upstream around the bend and you'll see a fallen tree in the water. Some HUGE fish are on either side of the stream. You can actually see them hanging by the bank, under brush. Be careful because there are LOTS of otter holes along the bank. I mean a lot. Bonus: lots of turtles to see here, and other wildlife. Good luck and have fun!

-Brian-

WinterrunRon
09-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Craig,

I just returned. Feel free to call me, 916.300.4766. I'm no expert on the area but I'm very observant. I'll help out any way I can.

Ron