PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Steelhead off of Hwy 101

GaryP
09-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Hello all,

I am looking for a place to fish for steelhead off of Hwy 101 up past the bay area. I will be camping/fishing on my way to oregon and I would love to catch some steelhead. Is there any place that you recoment that I can fish and camp? I will be leaving on monday and I am looking forward to this trip. I will be mainly shore fishing and I would need a nice place to stay for my family and a nice place I can fish. I will be camping mon-friday and any place that you can recomend would help.

Thanks in advance.
Gary

sculpin
09-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Klamath River

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Call the Eureka Fly Shop.

Most obvious is the lower Klamath River.

Lower Mad River might have some fish in it.

Lower Eel River should have some Halfpounders in now too.

Try some of the first riffles on the Smith River.

Look at the Rogue River too.

GaryP
09-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Wow they are some great people. I talked to a person names Scott and he sugguested that I take the 299 and follow the Trinity river. He suggusted that I stop by the Redding shop and his shop on my way through to pick up the area spacific flies that are working. He mentioned that the common patterns aren't doing so well so I would probably need to try those.

If I can stop on my way I definately will do that.

Thank you Bill for the recomendation. Your kindness and straightforwardness keeps erning points in my book.

bigtj
09-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Look at the regs before you fish for fall closures. It would be a bummer to ruin your vacation with a fat fine from the game warden.

jhaquett
09-21-2007, 08:46 PM
You will be running along the Eel for a long time above Napa and the surrounding wine country. Don't forget to stop somewhere around Orick once you are way up, about an hour above Eureka, buy some vanilla ice cream and pick some wild blackberries and find a nice spot to watch the elk 8) :wink: . Also stop anywhere along 101 above Orick and take a hike through the redwoods. If you have time, catch some perch at Gold Bluffs Beach & hike Fern Canyon (where they filmed Jurassic Park 2). I spend a lot of time in the Eureka area in the later spring and summer, there are too many great things to do up there :oops: 8) :D

P.S. Don't forget about the Jed Smith, somewhat tough shore fishing but a seriously gorgeous place to wet a line