PDA

View Full Version : consumer report

jbird
09-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I picked up a Nautilus reel a few weeks ago and am having problems with it. The drag has the squeel of wet brakes :cry: And the pitch of the squeel puts off a pretty good vibration when a fish is taking line quickly.

Since I am leaving to Florida in less than a week, I couldnt risk a mail exchange. I talked to the nice folks at Nautilus today and they asked me to come tour their factory in Miami while they swap out the drag assembly. Since their headquarters are in line with my travels thru Florida, It should be a fun side trip. Maybe I can talk them out of some stickers or other parifenalia :D :D

I will say that my problem is the first one I've heard of from a Nautilus reel.

Jay

David Lee
09-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Have a safe trip ...... and I hope ya get a big Snook !!

David :)

Matt Frey
09-20-2007, 07:35 PM
You should think about taking some of your sweet photos with your reel in it to show them. You've posted a few really nice ones. Who knows you may get into their catalog?

Matt

sculpin
09-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Ditto what Carl said. I have a friend who works for a company that sets up for events all over the Country. They set up for the Super Bowl and many other bowl games ect. He says Miami is the scariest place he has ever been.

Mark

jbird
09-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Guys

I've been to Miami 10+ times. Heck, my wife almost accepted a job at Doral country club, which would have moved us there instead of Medford.

Nautilus reels is Just off I95 and we are just dropping by. Its no where near where Sonny Crocket and Tubs live :wink: :D Maybe closer to the chainsaw scene on Scarface :twisted: 8) jus kidd'n, We'll be fine.

Carl, I will certainly use Scotts stuff, but I am only with him one day. I have a center console rabalo reserved for the 5 following days. Also I was pretty stoked after visiting James Shaugnassee today, He gave me all four of his blue water series Beulah rods to test drive. 7/8, 8/9, 10/11 and 13/15wts. http://beulahflyrods.com/products.html#3 They are VERY nice rods and I'm excited!

Jay

PS Bill, James said he was coming down to see you tomorrow...your gonna love his rods!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-20-2007, 08:52 PM
We are going to become a Beulah dealer soon.

They have some really nice products that we get requests for now.

John at Beulah has been guiding at the east cape for many years. I think I will try to get down there with him so he can get me into a Rooster Fish.

Good luck on your trip jbird.

jaybird
10-08-2007, 01:52 PM
I dropped by Nautilus on the way down to the keys. I set up a meeting with one of the guys there because they were closed that day. After waiting 20 minutes in the parking lot, a man and his little daughter showed up in a classy car. He got out and approached me in my car, I was a little nervouse as we were in an empty industrial parking lot and this guy was of cuban decent sporting some subtle bling :shock: 8) :D It turned out to be Kristen Mustad himself. He said the guy I was supposed to meet had an emergency so he was going to take care of me. He openned the shop and took me in. He gave me a comperehensive tour of the shop, where there were a few employees busy operating CNC machines and I got to see reels being milled from bar stock. Kristen rebuilt my drag while he told me the history of old florida and the metamorphasis into Nautilus. I feel very good about owning one of these reels. Just to make sure the reel was in good operating condition, I had a big bone fish rip on it about as fast as it could turn :D
Kudos for Nautilus!

Jay

Pfloyyd
10-09-2007, 06:27 PM
I have a newer Nautilus 12 that makes the noise you describe when it gets wet. I'll probably have them take a look at it- did the rep give any clue as to the cause? I chose it because of its reputable 'sealed' drag.