PDA

View Full Version : Lagunitas Lake in Marin

windknot
09-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Anyone fished here recently? I know it's a DFG regulated wild trout lake, but what I've heard about the fishing seems to contradict this. I might be in the Mt. Tam area this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any updates or information about Lagunitas or any of the other Marin County reservoirs in terms of fly fishing for trout. Thanks a lot!

Matt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-19-2007, 12:30 AM
I don't have any info but it seems like those low elevation lakes are better in the winter for trout?

Nick S
12-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Lagunitas Lake can be a really nice place to fish. I grew up in Fairfax, a 15 minute bike ride to Lagunitas, and learned to flycast off of the large grassy finger known as flyfisherman's point.
Although Lagunitas is a put and take fishery, it has two excellent tributaries which allow for spawning. I think the limiting factor in the lake is temperature and dissolved oxygen levels during late summer. We have definately hooked some holdovers in early winter with spawning colors
In the winter, sometimes BWO or PMD hatches would come off, and friends and I would cast long leaders to rising trout. Often, a hare's ear or PT nymph fished dead would be more effective.
In the summer I had great success stripping damselfly patterns. Spring and Fall can also fish well. If anything else, enjoy the beauty of the oaks around you, and the fish will come with patience.