PDA

View Full Version : Best place to test a 7wt.?

Steelie-Stalker
09-18-2007, 02:52 PM
So i have a new 7wt. St. Croix that i need to go out and test. I'm writing a review on it for my English class and need to see how it performs.

What would be the best place to try it out. Anywhere within 2 hours of the East Bay (concord) would be best. Maybe some stripers? im not really sure where to go.
This rod was intentionally bought for steelies, but they haven't come in down here in the valley, and my annual Rogue River trip isn't until the 13th and 14th.

Thanks!!!!!!
Steelie-Stalker

Hairstacker
09-18-2007, 03:45 PM
That's easy, Delta topwater largemouth bass fishing! :D

Steelie-Stalker
09-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Where would you suggest to do that. I don't have a boat, so im banking it. You're using poppers here, right? just cast, and strip in in "pops"? I know of some Tracts and sloughs but which ones would you suggest and how do i get there?

Hairstacker
09-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Steelie-Stalker, I do know of a few sloughs that you could fish from the bank but, frankly, I don't know that I would recommend it. You'd be stumbling over levee rocks and you'd be contending with keeping your backcast out of bankside brush. You also won't have access to a lot of productive water. Moreover, I'm not sure this would be a very good test of your rod, as you won't have an opportunity to really lay out some line.

It can be done, though, to fish the trough between the levee and weeds where bass often reside. If you were to do so, I would use a Dahlberg and vary the retrieve until you find the combination.

In any case, if you don't have access to a boat, kayak, etc., I guess I would consider some other venue, as fly fishing the Delta from a levee isn't that much fun, in my opinion. If you're still interested, though, let me know and I'll pm you with a couple of suggested areas.

Charlie S
09-19-2007, 10:54 AM
As said, you can go to the delta to try it. You could rent a small boat from either Russo's or Sugar Barge....that would put you out where you could catch some fish.

Darian
09-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Since you lve in the bay area, why not try any of the reservoirs within the East Bay Regional Park system :?: :?: :?: All of the warmwater species, catfish and trout arer available right in your own back yard. 8) 8) Plus you can fish from the shore or, if you're careful, from a dock. In some lakes, you can rent a boat. 8) 8) Why wonder off to some other area to test your rod when you can do it close by.

I'm with Hairstacker when it comes to fishing the Delta. It's not a place that's conducive to fly fishing from shore. Plus there's the ever present wind in the delta. Most of the parks lakes/reservoirs are located where there is always a place to get out of the wind. 8) 8) 8)

Have fun :D :D :D

Steelie-Stalker
09-19-2007, 03:42 PM
My only problem with the east bay lakes is that i would like to catch a larger fish, that would put a 7 weigt to the test. Im not sure a 2lb. catfish is catchable on a fly easily, and the stripers aren't very prominent. I think i might try San Luis Reservoir or hte o'neill forebay. If i used a long leader with some weight i could get some clousers or deceivers down and try and get a 3-5 lb. striper. That looks like my best chance.