PDA

View Full Version : Another wader question

Scott V
09-18-2007, 09:50 AM
I am not looking for brand name, just what type of wader should I be getting for this cooler time of the year. Should I get a neoprene wader or go with a different type of material. I have never bought waders before so I am not sure what to get. I am guessing I will not need a breathable material for the winter season. I plan on fishing all types of water from the lower American to small creeks and streams. I really do not have a problem with cold water, but it does get to me after along time.

Any advise on what type of material to keep an eye out for would be greatly appreciated.

clarkblanchard
09-18-2007, 10:12 AM
I would recommend you stick with a breathable wader and just get yourself a good pair of fleece pants and some warm socks to wear under your waders. You will be suprised how warm it can get during winter afternoons here in the valley and the breathable waders will allow you to stay comfortable throuought the day.

Darian
09-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Unless you're going to be wade fishing at paces like Eagle or Pyramid Lakes during the dead of winter, I'd stay away from neoprene. They're apain to put on, uncomfortable to hike any distance in, they're hot (because they don't breathe) and they leak (just like any other type wader). :( :(

dtp916
09-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Breathable. Like they said, get fleece pants and you'll be good.

Ed Wahl
09-18-2007, 08:20 PM
I've been using neoprene waders for years and I gotta say, yeah, these guys are right. Hot, uncomfortable, sweaty, hard to put on and take off. Just the ticket for the really masochistic types. I've bought my last pair, just waiting for them to wear out to justify some "breathables". Ed

roostersgt
09-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I prefer to use a larger size neoprene with bootfoot in a 4-5 mil for winter use, especially if float tubing. I have heavy weight fleece pants and still freeze in the tube in my breathables. I'd suggest picking up a cheap set of oversize neoprenes (stout size?). They come off easier that way and definately insulate better than breathables w/ fleece. I bought a duck hunting set with really insulated boots that work great. Warm and toasty when floating in 33 degree water.

I wouldn't dare consider hiking in them though. I always carry a backpack with my waders and boots when hiking in. No point in wearing out and sweating in a pair of waders.

Cheers!

jbird
09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Stay away from the neo's Theyre only good for ice cold water and nothing else. And even then, they will only keep you marginally warmer than breathables. When wearing breathables, you are only limited by what you wear underneath. Buy quality polypropolene socks. The secret is to wear a sock that wicks the moisture off your feet. Your feet dont have to be warm to get all juicy. :? I have a pair of neoprenes rotting in the attic somewhere...thats where theyll stay until they find their way to the land fill.

Jay