PDA

View Full Version : Looking for fly fishing mentors

Jordan
09-16-2007, 02:49 PM
OK maybe mentor sounds a bit formal....anyway, I am sort of a newbie to fly fishing, took about a thirty year break and have just gotten back into it. Mostly tropical salt water, tarpon, bone fish etc. Have done some gear fishing for steelhead in ID. Actually caught some.

So, what I'm looking for are people to fly fish with in Northern California, and maybe beyond, that would not mind sharing some knowledge and help me get a handle on all the various lines, flies and techniques. I learn best by watching and doing. Going to a spey class this weekend, looked like too much fun to pass up.

All the fish options around N. CA sound interesting. Of particular interest are steelhead and stripers. Of course I would not say no to trout or bass or?

I have some equipement, am comfortable in boats and around the water, live in the Napa Valley, have a pretty flexable schedule and don't mind getting up early, prefer micro brews, red wine and expresso. I like catching fish, but don't get upset if I don't. Just like being out there and learning new things. Some casts are great, some so so, Still working on my consistency.

Happy to meet people where ever the fishing is. Can bring ??? and a sense of humor. Generally practice catch and release, whether it's fish or fishing partners. Actually, haven't hooked anybody...yet. You could be the first.

So, if this sounds interesting or you want to know more about me, PM me or call, Jordan 707-963-9096.

I look forward to fishing adventures in California and beyond.

Tony Buzolich
09-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Jordan,

Right here on this board you will find more helping guys willing to share time and expeirence than you ever thought possible.

Because of your location coming in to Kiene's might be a bit distant just to do howdy but everyone there would be most useful to your learning.

What I would suggest is to go in to Sweeny's on Imola and do howdy if you haven't already. They have a nice little shop with a fair amount of fly stuff. When you're there ask about the local fly club and who to contact. I believe they are called the Napa Valley Fly Fishers and meet monthly at the Aegis Senior Center, 2100 Redwood Rd. You can also call Mike McKeown at 707 337-9410.

Getting in with a local fly club will really shorten the learning curve and put you in touch with a bunch of other great guys with similar interests.

If you ever happen to be up Yuba City way stop in at Johnson's Bait-Tackle+Fly and say hi.
TONY

jbird
09-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Jordan

Like Tony said, you came to the right place...and more importantly, with the right attitude. With your open mind and willingness to watch, listen and learn, youll be cutting all kinds of corners in the learning curve, and make some great friends along the way.

Welcome aboard! :D

Jay

WinterrunRon
09-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Great intro, Jordan.

If you want to play in my backyard, I'm happy to meet you down on the American River sometime and share what I know about fishing it. What I know may not be worth much, so let's hope you're just plain lucky.

Here's the gear you'll need to bring in order to be successful:

Micro brews, red wine, expresso and a sense of humor. :wink: Wadda ya know, looks like you're dialed in to fish the American. :)

Ron

PaulC
09-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey Jordan,
I'm an occasional visitor up north during steelhead season.
If you're ever up for heading southbound in the summer, I'd be more than happy to take you around chasing corbina in the summer months.
Basically sight fishing to tailing fish similar to redfish but uber spooky.
Not easy in the surf, but one of the only sight fishing surf species we have out in cali.
There's always perch, sharks, halibut, croaker, etc. to round things out.
June-July is primetime.
You've found a great board with a great group of folks all over the state.
Hope ya get to meet up with a few of them.
-Paul

PS. Hey Jay -- there's a couple Santa Barbara guys heading your way on the rogue for a few weeks.
Hope you bump into them. Pretty mellow folks and Baja junkies to the core.

jbird
09-16-2007, 10:07 PM
PS. Hey Jay -- there's a couple Santa Barbara guys heading your way on the rogue for a few weeks.
Hope you bump into them. Pretty mellow folks and Baja junkies to the core.

Cool! I'll keep my eyes peeled :D

J

pgw
09-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Jordan,

Check out the fly fishing clubs in the area.

Most clubs offer casting and flytying clinics for members, organized club fishing outings and an ability to network between club members to fish with and learn from each other.

The Mount Tamalpais Fly Fishers meet on the 4th Tuesday of the month in Marin and there are members of that club who live in Napa and Sonoma counties. Check out the club website:
http://www.mttamflyfishers.org/

Contact me if you have any questions about the club.

Paul Wulf