PDA

View Full Version : My first "halfpounder"

WinterrunRon
09-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Friday morning was a special fishing day for me. Another first.

My favorite fishing is for big, powerful winter-run fish in cold, wet weather (hence, my screen name). However, I've been hearing a lot about "halfpounders" in the American this year and in years past, and up until Friday, have all but dismissed them as not big enough or in large enough numbers to get my juices going.

But Friday morning, being overcast and cool, and seeing Bills words of encouragement to "get out there", I thought I'd take the window of opportunity the weather provided me and try to catch a halfpounder steelhead, "just for the heck of it".

Long story short, I caught and landed my first one. But don’t let the name fool you! Halfpounder in name only! More like 3-4 lbs, (maybe more!) very gurthy and solid and with an attitude to boot. Took a swung fly from soft water, bolted out into the current and I was into my backing immediately. Couldn’t believe the fight from this fish. Like a shad, it fought all the way to my hand and just wouldn't give up.

My apologies for the lack of composition in the photos. It was a long fight in 68 degree water, I was by myself, so I wanted to get the pic and get her back in the moving water.

I think I'm very lucky to have met up with her. Thanks for the spark, Bill.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k63/WinterrunRon/American%20River/IMG_7669.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k63/WinterrunRon/American%20River/IMG_7676.jpg

jbird
09-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Wow Ron!

I think there could be an argument as to whether or not thats HP'r. I think the pink gillplates are a give away that that fish is in spawning mode this trip. Looks like a little summer run on steroids to me. That thing is built like a tuna!

Great job!

Jay

Jasonh
09-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Good work Ron. I would agree with Jay and say summer run. What a beautiful fish!

dtp916
09-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Nice fish. Half pounder or summer run, nice fish :D

WinterrunRon
09-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks, gents.

If you notice, I did put halfpounder in quotation marks. I'm no expert since I've never fish for them this time of year, so you guys would know more than I as far as classifying this fish.

I can tell you I landed three more since, they looked nothing like this one. Considerably smaller ( two at 15"-17", one at 10"-11"), but the brightest, cleanest trout I've ever seen. I didn't take a pic because they're too small to warrant me dropping my camera in the river over :wink: , but next time I land one, I'll take a pic and post it. Could be we have a both, a summer-run and halfpounder mix of fish?

In any event, it did put a smile on my face to see the adipose fin!

Adam Grace
09-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Nice fish Ron, yup that seems like a nice good-looking summer run steelie. And you caught it on a spey rod, great job!

jbird
09-15-2007, 10:09 PM
If I understand it correctly, 1/2#rs are not in the river with any intention at all to procreate, thus they eat ravenously and their motabolism remains similar to that of their life in salt. Which, I believe is what keeps them nickel bright. They are definitly not sexually mature. This sexual maturity is what transforms adult steelhead as they go upsteam with the intent to spawn, which includes changing color (pink gill plates, pink/red sideband, etc.) and becoming "less" interested in food.
Ron, I would think the other fish you got were indeed 1/2#rs...the smaller ones may have been smolts but the 'teeners" were probably legit. Theyre a great fish and were lucky to have em in some of our rivers!

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Halfpounders use to run 14 to 22 inches in the Fall but this time of year there are some bigger fish too that can run 4 to 10 pounds.

I think Jim Christensen caught a 9 pounder on a streamer once fishing for Stripers?

I have taken a few in the past that were 5 pounds and one that was 7 pounds in the Fall. That over 30 years or more though.

I think I usually catch the smaller ones because I am always swinging #12 wet in the surface on a floating line.

Maybe if we fished a little deeper we might get some larger fish too?

Back in the 1970s there was more money for budgets to experiment with different stains of Steelhead on the American River. They planted some Washugal strain summer Steelhead back then. Maybe thats what Ron caught here?

I think there could actually be Steelhead in the river almost all year round now?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-16-2007, 07:31 AM
It feels like Steelhead weather today?

Andy and I will get out this evening and see if we can't hook a fish.

mike N
09-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Beautie, Ron!

MN