PDA

View Full Version : Wader Question

roostersgt
09-15-2007, 09:31 AM
A relative informed me of a new line of wader he heard about and claims it has received better marks than the Simms brand I suggested he buy.

Anyone hear ever heard of "Cloudveil"? I've seen a couple of pictures of guides wearing them in Alaska, but that's about it.

I'm perfectly happy with Simms products and am just curious if others have had any experience with the Clouveils or have even heard of them. They're reportedly extremely durable.

Thanks.

Steve

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Cloudvale is trying to make an impact on the market but like everyone else their waders are imported.

Imported waders allow the companies to have very large margins so they can give you a free new wader when they fail.

Simms repairs theirs.

Simms is clearly still number one for now being the only wader made in the USA and using Gore-Tex breathable laminates.

Many other wader companies are still trying to catch up with Simms on their sizing.

dtp916
09-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Bill's right. Cloudveil does make some good stuff, but Simms is the best, hands down.

If you are interested get a pair and test them yourself, that way you'll form your own opinion 8)

roostersgt
09-15-2007, 08:54 PM
I'll stick with my Simms. Best pair of waders I've owned. I hate leaky surprises when I fish. A free set of waders that leak after the trip don't do me much good. That's precisely why I bought the Simms in the first place. I don't think I'd change brands to save a few bucks.

I like to support the fine folks from the USA. Heck, most of my rods are and reels are either from the USA, or our pals across the pond.

BTW James, did you get a Hardy for your new stick?

dtp916
09-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Yup. Thanks for the recommendation! 8)

GaryP
09-16-2007, 07:39 PM
One of the things that sets simms apart from the other companies is how they seal thier seams. and the type of material that is used. Several companies use a gortex type of material. Gortex was designed in Great Britin for the Royal marines and the U.S military for chemical weapons exposure. The current patent for true Gortex is still owned by a company in england.

Due to the wide uses of Gortex it went to the comercial market for other applications. Their are 2 types of Gortex sold and unless you have a Military application you can only get the original one.

I used to work in the Diving industry and I have seen several types of tapes that are being used to be able to create a water tight seal. The type that Simms uses I am really impressed with how they tape thier seams. They use a thick tape that is slow heated and sealed to the suit. The tape has to withstand a 1psi pressure test and this type of tape that they use is very expensive and holds for a long time. If I remember correctly the tape that is used is for chemical exposure (Can't remember the name of it) and it has to withstand a 5psi pressure test.

For me Simms uses high quality materials and due to that they have to make sure they have great craftmanship. ( you can use the example of a Husky wrench vs. a snap on or Mack tools.) The craftmanship and the quality of workmenship is what sells Simms. Therefor they have great reputation.

This is pretty much all I have to say about this at this time.

mircetich
09-17-2007, 07:57 AM
OK guys,
I need to offer my two cents and I am sure some will not like it...I bought my first pair of Simms waders last March (G3), and they are not all I expect my $400+ waders would do. They leaked slightly from the booties on the first trip, but being my only waders I kept fishing them till I got a break in which I knew I could be wiithout them.
Well as a few months progressed I got some leaks in the shins through just regular use. I got around to calling them in June to send them in. They advised me that they would not waranty the waders without a recipt and they would not take a CC statement.
I did not keep the receipt, $80 and three weeks later I got them back and they still leak from the shins. Also they did not return my wader belt with the waders.
Needless to say I was very upset and cut Simms from the team. I had always owned Orvis guide series and their customer services has been great. I cannot believe Simms can sleep at night charging what they do and not follow up with exceptional service. This has been very dissappointing.

WinterrunRon
09-17-2007, 08:54 AM
mircetich, sorry to hear of your frustrating experience. Real bummer.

Since I always enjoy reading both sides of an issue, here's my take on waders.

I have three friends who own Simms waders; they all have leaked. And they all were relatively new. And they only have one pair of waders. Now what?

I own a pair of Hodgemen Wadelites (bought on sale at Sportsmart for $59 ea), and I'm beginning my third year in the first ones (second always packed along for backup on extended trips). I'm more than pleased.

For me, if I'm going to spend 4-7 times the amount of money on a product, it has to be worth it. At the price I paid, I could own 11 pairs of Hodgemen Wadelites and have 10 new backups compared to one top-of-the-line Simms and have have to wait 3 weeks to fish while they're being repaired after they leak. And they will eventually leak. And I doubt one pair of anyone's waders will outlast 11 pairs of someone elses.

After all, aside from keeping you dry, what is a waders function?

mircetich
09-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Ron, I am with you, though not the Hodgemans, I have bought the Orvis for years, and when they do leak, they are repaired or replaced, which is generally the case, for free. Also I can buy two pair for the cost of G3, so I always have extra.[/list]

roostersgt
09-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Wow! I've never heard anything bad about a Simms product, other than their price. Nobody I know who owns a pair has ever complained of them leaking, except from their own abuse (hooks, thorns, tears etc,,,) From what I've read, each and every pair of Simms waders are tested for leaks before they're sent out. Most of the guides, folks who wear waders daily, seem to prefer Simms over every other brand. They have to pay for theirs also, so there must be a reason. I've only had my pair for two years so far and I fish at least once a week, year round. They've seen a lot of use and seem to be holding up real well, although they're a bit stinky at times. :D I'll count myself lucky.

My Hodgeman breathables, Frogg Toggs, Cabelas, Fly Techs etc,, all leaked from the botties after their first season. IMHO, For anyone to get more than a season out of them should consider themselves lucky and fishing on borrowed time. I have a garage full of leaky waders. I'm saving them to remove the booties to be used as "socks" for wet-wading. Never owned a pair of Orvis waders, but I know of the company's sterling reputation.

I wish I had luck with the cheaper waders. I hated to spend the money on the Simms, but it gives me peace of mind that my trip won't be ruined. The Cloudveils I've found only cost a little less than the Simms, so that means they won't be for everyone either.

:?: I'm curious about the Simms warranty work. Did you send them in for repair through the shop you purchased them from? Did you complete and send in the warranty card?

Bill, have you experienced any problems with Simms warranty work from your shop?

WinterrunRon
09-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Good to know about the repair/replacement policy of Orvis. And just to be clear. I'm not necessarily a Hodgeman fan, but I am a $59/pair of reasonable quality waders fan!

But I still couldn't stomach the thought of owning one expensive fishing rod or one reel, or one pair of waders, having it damaged and waiting a few weeks to get it back from being repaird before I'm able to fish again. :( Yuck!

For me, I have more of a disposable attitude when it comes to waders (which is generally against my "buy quality, keep it forever" mindset. In fact, come to think of it, waders are the only piece of fishing equipment where I don't spend a "more for better quality" amount of money.

Small holes in my waders easily locatable are quickly repaired. If I can't find the exact location of the leak, out with the bad, in with the good- they're trashed and I break out the new pair.

dtp916
09-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I've been happy with my Simms waders, but ripped a hole in them last time out on some barbed wire. :(

I have heard some Simms leaking right out of the box, and that sometimes they are hard to deal with as far as customer service goes.

mircetich - nice pic of you on the cover of the latest CA Fly Fisher...did the fly you picked work? :D

Amador
09-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Another Simms leaker here. I fish in mine about 6 times before they started to leak. I sealed the seams myself and so far, so good -so I cannot comment on their customer service.

I will say that I too have fished with the Hodgeman wadelights and they definitely lasted longer than my Simms!

With that said, the Simms fit much better and overall are more enjoyable to fish in....as long as my repair job holds up!

Flycanoe
09-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Bought my Simms waders last winter and after fishing 5 times, the seams now leak in the crotch area.

Same thing happened with my Hodgeman's and they replaced them with brand new ones under warranty for the cost of shipping them in.

Have yet to send in my Simms for repair/warranty service.

So far, have not found a pair of waders that will hold up in the crotch area to the amount of hiking I do when river fishing.

Scott V
09-17-2007, 02:15 PM
My 2 cents, because that is all I can afford. I have decided that instead of waders, I am going to get a long john wetsuit. They are easy to walk in, they are tight to the body so little to no drag. Plus they will keep me warm without having to layer up. I may someday get waders, but in the mean time I think a wet suit is the right idea, plus if I fall in the water I won't be too worried about filling up with water.

dtp916
09-17-2007, 03:04 PM
:lol: Your killing me. I will not be seen fishing with you and your wet suit.

jbird
09-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I have heard more bad things about simms waders than good. Not only do they leak but the customer service is a nightmare. Exacxtly in line with mircetechs post.
Guides wear simms cause they get pro deals. Simms has the "top" name and they want to look good, besides, if its a write off, why not? I am exaxtly in the same camp as Ron, Buy quality with your equipment, but not on waders. The technology just hasnt reached the point of a guaranteed wise investment. I have always thought if a wader could be constructed with a Tyvek membrane, it would be bomb proof.

The hardest thing on waders is hiking. The repetetive movement along crease lines is where problems occure.

I have been using cabelas waders for about 7 years, I have only bought one pair. whenever the leaks get too tiresome to continue repairing, I send them back for a new pair. Their customer service is tops. Last time I sent mine in, they didnt have large/tall in stock so they upgraded me to the guide series for free.

I have heard great reviews on patagonia waders...including their customer service.

Jay

jayclarkflyfishing
09-18-2007, 05:42 AM
I too own leaky Simms waders(L2's).I am a guide in the Truckee area and I will never buy Simms waders again.Too much money for too little customer service.My waders leaked out of the box in the bootie interface and also from a small hole in the waist.After waiting three weeks for the repair work I found where they patched a bunch of pin holes in the chest area.Never leaked there.Now the left foot leaks so I'll repair them myself,but the next pair I buy will be from Orvis.Their customer service is top notch and their waders are comfy.I had a pair of Cabelas waders and the leaked and leaked and leaked.I won't buy them again.
Jay