PDA

View Full Version : Report from Heenan Lake from Nancy Siegler

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Thayne and I went to Heenan today and I caught 19 Lahontan Cutthroat Trout.

10”, 15” and all the rest were over 21” and one was 26”. What a day. I caught all but on the Sheep Creek Special. The weather was good for up there with the usual wind but it was not too bad. Tons of float tubers but I was the star and caught the most fish.. Thayne had three on but unfortunately he did no land any.

Nancy

__________________________________________________ _________

I believe that Heenan Lake is open Friday through Sunday in September and October.

Hairstacker
09-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow, great job Bill, sounds like you had a killer day! That's something when you catch a bunch of trout and the two smallest ones are 10" and 15". 8) 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi Mike

I actually did not go on this one. It was a report from a friend, Nancy Siegler.

Bill Quinn
09-15-2007, 07:39 AM
It was a delight to watch Nancy as she was hooking fish all day and working the water. She knew what she was doing.
I took a friend who had never fly fished before and we fished Heenan and were fortunate enough to catch a few ourselves. I think the trick is to make sure you fish with a good fly but more about the depth of presentation. We used different flies from Nancy and caught the same numbers.

BigBill
09-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Fish deep! Type 3 full sink is perfect for Heenan. BH nymphs with chenille bodies(Prince/Zug Bug/Sheep's Creek etc.) trailed from buggers & leeches in olive, brown and maroon seem to work best (for me anyways). Vary your retrieve until you start catching fish.

OR

Buy a spinning combo and some silver or gold kastmasters! I was less than 100ft away from these 2 guys chucking hardware from tubes yesterday and they must have caught 20 HOGS between the two of them in less than an hour. :roll:

markem8
09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
I fished Heenan on Sunday. The water had a lot of algea in the water and you have to clean your flies regularly. I landed 5 cutts and my buddy got 2. They ranged in size from 16-21 inches. It was a beautiful day in the mountains and it is nice to see Heenan fishing well early in its short season. Here is a shot of a giant from a few of seaons ago.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/MarkEM8/markwithbigfish2.jpg

Bill Quinn
09-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Nice fishy Mark!!!