PDA

View Full Version : Removable looped heads for Spey

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2007, 08:44 PM
We are seeing a little trend around our shop this past few month.

Looks like some are putting on backing and a looped floating running line and then getting a looped AFS floating head for top water Steelheading and then a Skagit looped head with tips for sinking the bigger flies deep.

This way you have only one reel, one running line and two different heads and a few removable sinking tips.

I think I might try it myself.

SPG
09-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi Bill, I think your shop will find that this little trend will become a very large movement over the next 5 years. Just think about how efficient it is to carry one rod and line with 6 heads to the river. This concept has been my focus for the last 3 years because nothing else is as easy or as flexible on the water. In my teaching experience with Spey, no one does not like shooting heads, once they get it. Many shops have not got it yet, happy to see you will be promoting this style of fly fishing. Steve

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Great Steve.....

I also thought I could use the same big reel on many other Spey rods as I know you do.

I bought a new Hardy Bougle VI 4 " and now I will be able to use it on several different Spey rods by just changing the heads.

Thanks for all the great info and help Steve.

Gary Anderson is making me one of his new 12'9" #6 - 4 piece models right now. It will be fun on the lower American and the Klamath.

Don Powell
09-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Attaboy Bill!
You are definitely "getting it"!
My flyfishing experience has never been the same since I fished the Skagit/Sauk system with Dec Hogan and Scott O'Donnell and watched Ed Ward, Mike Kinney, John Farrar engrossed in the spey style of fishing in the mid-90's.
Continuing refinement of the art brings us to where we are today...many choices in technique, rods and lines- but I have never seen so many rod and line makers and devotees so into a particular style...
Thanks for being involved- Kiene's Fly Shop definitely speaks "Spey"!
I went to Watt Avenue today with my ACR 1296-4- it loves the Beulah 6/7 and poly leaders Gary will probably set you up with and the McCune modified Rio Skagit 450 (you know what I'm talking about) and the Rio AFS 400 gr 6/7 matched with the Monic 0.030 running line.
Aaron tried the McCune 450 on my Meiser System 6 switcher and got a beautiful "half pounder"!

Don