PDA

View Full Version : How do you fish a high alpine lake?

Matt Frey
09-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Hello

I was up at a lake in Desolation last weekend, and when there was no wind the fish were constantly rising and I caught some fish. But when the wind picked up I couldnt figure out what to do. I tried stripping wollybuggers, and even the dragonbugger. Also had a midge pattern under an indicator for a bit. No luck.

I did catch a bat, also on a dry fly. First time I had done that. Wasnt too much fun getting him off.

Anyways, any advice or techniques on how to fish a lake that you are willing to share would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Ed Wahl
09-13-2007, 04:19 AM
Matt, I would dip the Bat in egg and roll it in cornmeal before frying it up. :lol: Ed

Reno Flytyer
09-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Hey Matt...many of the higher lakes have rocky bottoms and very little plant life which translates to light aquatic life. The growing season for the fish is pretty limited and the water is typically gin clear. With that in mind, I would suggest long (15') thin (5X-6X) leaders and small bugs. Keep a low profile and use long casts. That's my $ .02, and it's worked for me.
RFT

Adam Grace
09-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Wow, you actually caught the bat, crazy! I've come close many time yet I have never CAUGHT a bat, very funny :lol:

Flycanoe
09-13-2007, 10:38 AM
You didn't say what kind of line your using. If it's a floating line, then you're not getting deep enough. Try an intermediate line or adding a sinking head onto your floating line.

windknot
09-13-2007, 05:16 PM
When it's windy and/or when there's nothing rising, I do well stripping medium-sized weighted nymphs like copper johns or pheasant tails both along drop-offs and along weedy or grassy shorelines. Otherwise sight-fishing to trout cruising in the shallows with a terrestrial pattern is your best bet (and the most fun 8) ).

If you don't mind me asking, which lake in Desolation did you fish? I'm planning to go up there a few times this fall, including one weekend up at Heather out of Glen Alpine.

Matt

Mik
09-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey Matt. I have been up there many times and have experienced that. PT's, Prince's.....small. Make sure you fish the shore the wind is hitting.

Tracy Chimenti
09-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Yep, fish the shore where the wind is going. And for the time of the year you were up there, fish early, late... and when the sun's up-- DEEP!

Tracy

Matt Frey
09-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Windknot,
Sorry for the late response. I hiked into Island Lake. Not a bad hike and it seems like most of the day hikers stop at Twin Lakes. So, it wasnt crowded at all.

As for the bat it was nuts. There were a lot flying around, but thats pretty normal. This time it was different the second my fly hit the water I saw the bat swoop down ... then bam ... bat on. It tried to fly off with my fly, but couldnt seem to fly to far with it. It would crash into the water and struggle. Then fly a few feet and then back into the water. This continued for a bit as I tried to think of what to do. I really didnt know what to do since it was my first time experiencing this. Lots of thoughts running through my ming. I wasnt to excited about the idea of cutting my leader, because 1. getting an obviously upset bat that close didnt sound fun and 2. I did not bring an extra leader with me and I did not want to stop fishing for the trip. I also wasnt too excited with the idea of pulling hard and having it come right at me. So I walked down the shoreline, so it would swing close to shore. Then one big roll cast and then I ducked. The bat, still hooked ,went flying by me, but then got off. I was relieved.

Pretty exciting!

Thanks for all the feedback.