PDA

View Full Version : Photo contest submission comments

Adam Grace
09-10-2007, 07:25 PM
I just saw that Gordon posted a nice picture, great shot Gordon! You didn't tell us what type of camera you used though, I'm guessing a point and shoot camera. If future contestants could post what type of camera they used that would be helpful when I create the voting poll.

I hope that this contest will also inspire board members to take more photos. I would love to see the new amount of photo essays/posts to increase!

I recently ran across a nice picture that I wanted to submit but I didn't take this picture. I was holding this Feather River steelie that I caught, my buddy and local guide Ryan Miller took this nice picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP4423.jpg

I enjoyed this picture so much that I had to share it with you guys.

Adam Grace
09-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Wow Mark nice fish, thanks for the submission!

I am getting very excited about this contest thing. \:D/

BIG thanks goes out to Jay for starting this whole thing! :thumbsup:

bolden
09-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Very nice photos everyone.

Here are some older pictures which i did not even think of when i posted the contest ones. Too bad i did not see them before i did that.
Maybe i will be able to use them in another contest.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/IMGP0119.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/DSC00168.jpg

Adam Grace
09-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Ben I really like that bottom picture! Every time I try that the fish never wants to pose like that, they swim off away from my camera. I also have a hard time framing the picture without sticking my head underwater along with the camera :D Or I either get air bubbles or water debris clouding up the picture.

sculpin
09-10-2007, 08:44 PM
It's lots of fun for me looking at what talented photographers can do. I'll try and keep my camera with me this year and post a few pictures. Jbird knows about my camera jinx. Usually if I have a camera along I loose a lot of fish or get skunked. The jinx is so bad my 3 sons wouldn't let a camera on the boat when we went fishing. I tried keeping my camera with me year before last and dropped the first 22 out of 24 steelhead I hooked. After those two weeks the camera stayed at home most of the time.

Mark

Adam Grace
09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Nice bass shot Mike, I like how the bass is halfway in the water.

jbird
09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Mike

I concure with Adam. I remember the day you first posted that. Theres just something a little sureal about it. Theres not a single ripple coming off the fish...like time just stopped!

Jay

Adam Grace
09-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Don, nice peacock picture, and Mike I love that silvery king, very nice. Thanks for joining the contest.

Adam Grace
09-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Wow, I like the amount of people posting their pictures, thanks for joining in the fun. I especially like the unexpected amount of underwater shots, good pictures guys.

jbird
09-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Great photos everyone! Keep them coming!

For this contest to succeed, we really need everyone to specify if the camera used was a P&S or a SLR. If you give all the other specifics, most of us still wont know what category to vote in.
This will also be important for all us voters when we start the poll, We need to have a clear and simple explanation that there are two camera catagories to vote on, otherwise, a good percentage of voters will just vote on their favorite picture. Its a litle confusing, but everyone can cast two votes. an slr and a p&s.

Actually this brings up a new question. Should we ask all voters to cast a vote in both catagories?

Jay

Langenbeck
09-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Adam,

My picture was taken with a Nikon Coolpix 3 megapixal point & shoot.

mike N
09-12-2007, 12:14 PM
P&S kool pix 4500.

MN

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/mikenovotny/steelie1.jpg

bolden
09-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Should we ask all voters to cast a vote in both catagories?

I think so.

Also, for the photos you posted for BigJT, what cameras were they taken with? To me it looks like they are both P&S, since you can only enter one
for each camera type, maybe edit the post and leave only the best one and put the other one in here so we can still see it.

Mike N- If that is your entry, make sure to post it in the pictures thread. It is the sticky that stays at the top of the page.

Keep the photos coming everyone.

jbird
09-12-2007, 01:00 PM
maybe edit the post and leave only the best one and put the other one in here so we can still see it.

This is a non-contest photo from BigTJ...and a beauty I might add :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSCN0520.jpg

sculpin
09-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Wow. What a great bunch of pictures. I guess I'm gonna have to try to take some underwater shots with my Optio WP. I just bought it for when I fall in the river. I dodn't want to get chewed out by my wife for ruining cameras like Jbird does :D :D

Mark

jbird
09-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Okay. There are some pictures in the contest that have a lot of info on where and how the fish was caught and even some good detail on the camera used. except it does not say P&S or SLR

When it comes to voting things will be a lot less confusing if you make it abundantly clear on your post which camera type was used.

Jay

bigtj
09-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Bolden,

I just got to say that it seems a bit snobbish to be so picky on allowing only one type of photo each, and also saying my pics look "point and shoot". The idea is to have some fun, and it's not really a contest anyway, so what's why be so anal? Can't we all have a good time without worrying about what the pics were taken with? And wouldn't you feel a bit sheepish if my pics were taken with an SLR? The idea is for everyone to have a good time, not to look down your nose at amatuers that don't live up to pre-conceived standards.

Jay,

Thanks for posting the pic. I think it's a bit funny I asked you to keep the one of the steelhead, and you ended up keeping the Truckee Rainbow! Says a lot about Truckee Rainbows.

-John

jbird
09-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Hey John

look again. I'm pretty sure the steelhead pic is in the contest thread. http://www.kiene.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=7146 I put the other one in this thread cause it was such a great photo I wanted to post it somewhere :D 8) If the fish in the contest thread is a truckie river rainbow, I'm packin my bags tonight and headed that way! :D

Man I hope this whole thing isnt too confusing :oops:

Jay

jbird
09-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I am starting to think we may want to simplify the format if the trend remains the same by, say, the end of this week.

Thus far there is only one SLR photograph submitted. The participant with the SLR has such a brilliant P&S shot posted, I personally prefer his pns shot better (that is certainly not to diminish the SLR shot..its beautiful...just trying to shore up my point) It does however appear to be an unfair advantage to be able to post 2 photographs. I am pretty sure the guys with SLRs are avid photographers. Which means most likely, their P&S shots are of a very high caliber by default.

There has been enough "stumbling in the dark" trying to enter photos so far, that I would bet the voting might suffer from a similar confusion. The last thing we want are hanging chads :D :)

I am leaning back to my original suggestion of posting one picture. That way it wont matter if the poster left out information. And virtually no chance of a voter misreading an entry and voting for the wrong picture.

Any thoughts??

Jay

bolden
09-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Bolden,

I just got to say that it seems a bit snobbish to be so picky on allowing only one type of photo each, and also saying my pics look "point and shoot". The idea is to have some fun, and it's not really a contest anyway, so what's why be so anal? Can't we all have a good time without worrying about what the pics were taken with? And wouldn't you feel a bit sheepish if my pics were taken with an SLR? The idea is for everyone to have a good time, not to look down your nose at amatuers that don't live up to pre-conceived standards.

I will try to respond to this in segments. First, Jay, Adam, myself, and others have been discussing this contest for about a week and we went
back and forth a number of times about the format. We decided for this first contest that you could post two photos, one from the slr and one for
p&s. I have been one of the people here who have helped get things going, so i am just trying to make sure the rules are met.

As far as calling your photos "point and shoot", that was not meant as disrespect towards your photos. As i mentioned, i am trying to help keep
the submissions in line with the format we set up, and when we vote we need to know what kind of camera was used. I have looked at LOTS of
photos over the past year, and i have learned about certain things that differentiate a p&s and an slr. Some of my favorite photos are from my
p&s, so i honestly did not mean to disrespect you.

As far as me being anal, i am just trying to keep in line with what a number of us agreed on. If no one does this, then the contest will fade
away and people will post photos like we used to. This isn't bad, but look at how much participation there has been since the contest has started.
There has been more participation this past week than the entire summer, and i am really enjoying that part. So this may not be an
entirely serious contest, but so far it has been great fun seeing everyones pictures, and without the contest format we might not have all
of this participation.

I am leaning back to my original suggestion of posting one picture. That way it wont matter if the poster left out information. And
virtually no chance of a voter misreading an entry and voting for the wrong picture.

I think you may be right. The question is, should it be one photo period, no limit on camera, or should it just be one p&s. Although most of my
favorite shots are with my slr, i am perfectly fine only being able to enter p&s shots in the competition. I can always put my extra slr shots in the
discussion for everyone to see. Maybe adam will put in his opinion on this too.

Adam Grace
09-12-2007, 06:59 PM
John, it wasn't just Bolden who chose one picture, Jay and myself also agreed. We tried to nail down any loose ends about the contest to avoid confusion. We thought that SLR cameras had too much of an advantage so we said that each contestant could post one p & s picture and one SLR picture.

Jay, I had expected Rob, Jason H. and Jay Murakoshi to have already posted an SLR picture, that makes 4 regular photo posters when you included Ben Bolden, that seemed like enough to make a separate SLR contest. But considering the lack of their participation we might as well make it one big contest with no partitions.

Like John mentioned, does it have to be just one picture? My opinion is that when people vote it will be easier to know which picture caused the win, but if people aren't interested in who wins, then we could just kill this contest and hope that people keep on posting pictures, but a simple contest gives people a little bit more reason to submit a picture or two.

What do you guys think?

jbird
09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Adam, Bolden and anyone else :D I really think its of utmost importance to keep things "bare bones simple" Its different when you are face to face and able to discuss away any confusion. In an internet environment, it is very hard to keep a group together on the same page.

Just a quick example...I use to be a manager at a ski resort. We were always creating and experimenting with new signs to try to improve skier traffic congestion. It was totally shocking how illiterate everyone can be. If we put up a sign saying "do this" people wouldnt do it. If the sign said "dont do this" people would immediately start doing it. It was just crazy!

So simplicity is the route I suggest. Post your favorite photo...one photo only... doesnt matter what camera you used. Obviously it would no longer be necessary to say anything about your equipment. You can describe breifly any work youve done to the picture in photoshop and where and when you caught it, if you want. If that doesnt suit your fancy, just post the picture without typing a single word. How much easier can it get? :D

I think our main objective is participation. Something to get people excited and to show off some fish theyve caught, or seen caught.

Jay

Adam Grace
09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
That sounds good to me Jay!

bolden
09-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Jay, I had expected Rob, Jason H. and Jay Murakoshi to have already posted an SLR picture, that makes 4 regular photo posters when you included Ben Bolden, that seemed like enough to make a separate SLR contest. But considering the lack of their participation we might as well make it one big contest with no partitions.

Even if they all posted their pictures, it still might not be enough slr competition to warrant the possible confusion. If we do make it one big
contest, then maybe we should have a simple vote in a seperate thread.

It would be something like:

One photo - no limitations on camera

or

One photo - only p&s

I would be perfectly fine with only p&s. It would definitely make things more equal, and since i am the only one with a slr photo, i don't think
anyone is going to complain. I don't want to be the only person using an slr and be viewed as having an advantage over everyone else.

Like John mentioned, does it have to be just one picture? My opinion is that when people vote it will be easier to know which picture caused the win, but if people aren't interested in who wins, then we could just kill this contest and hope that people keep on posting pictures, but a simple contest gives people a little bit more reason to submit a picture or two.

As far as one photo per person, i think it has to be that way. It is the only way this will remain simple in terms of submissions and voting.
Each person enters one photo, and everyone votes for one person. People can always post other similar photos in the discussion thread just
for kicks.

With the participation that has been going on in this forum, i think the contest needs to stay, it just needs to be as simple as possible.

jbird
09-12-2007, 07:49 PM
This is a quick call to a change in format of this photo contest.

In light of simplifying things, we are only submitting ONE photograph. It does not matter what camera was used for the photo.

If you submitted more than one photo, please edit accordingly.

Hope this helps

Jay

Rob
09-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Canon 20D slr , 50 mm 1.8

This is the only good fish photo i have !!! :shock:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Fly%20fishing%20Utah/logancut.jpg

Adam Grace
09-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Rob, that is a great picture. Please post that picture under the contest announcement.

bigtj
09-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Guys,

Sorry for coming off the way I did yesterday. Yesterday was one of my worst days in months and I was a bit grouchy, sorry for coming off a bit over the top especially to you Bolden.

There are some great photos in there, regardless of how they were taken they are a joy to see. Thanks to everyone for getting the interest drummed up in some great photos.

-John

bolden
09-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Yesterday was one of my worst days in months and I was a bit grouchy, sorry for coming off a bit over the top especially to you Bolden.

Don't even worry about it, everyone has bad days.

Rob, very nice picture and don't you just love the cheap little 50mm.

jbird
09-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Rob

I sure hope you used the foreceps for that one :shock: :D

shweeeet!

Jay

jbird
09-13-2007, 08:36 PM
PaulC

Ther is just something slightly evil about that pic you posted. :evil: The color theme to the whole photo is just kinda dark. :D Very cool!

Jay

kokaneejr
09-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey all just wanted to say that I am loving all the fish portraits. I think that we should just enter one photo and who cares what kind of camera anyone has. Bolden and Rob can take a fantastic photos with pinhole cameras and if they or others are brave enough to bring their SLR's near the water more power to them. I am thinking that after seeing some of the underwater stuff that the real advantage is to those who have the Optio cameras. Now if I can only figure out how they do it so I can take one of my own :).

Good luck all and keep those photos coming.....Craig.

DocEsox
09-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Hard time deciding between fish portraits I love.....here are a few that strike me but didn't post:

Beautiful, but often maligned male Chum Salmon.....caught in Montana Creek while fishing for rainbows:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/DocEsox/Chum2Release.jpg

My favorite coastal rainbow trout from Montana Creek:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/DocEsox/1a70b4af.jpg

And, Missouri River brownie resting after release:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/DocEsox/waterbrown.jpg

My wife thinks I am touched as I have a giant screen saver composed of fish portraits. Somehow after fishing for nearly 5 decades my intense love of viewing the exquisite uniqueness of each type of fish never fades. When it does I think it will be time to move on to the other side.

Brian

Adam Grace
09-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Nice pictures Brian.

Guys due to the lack of postings on this thread as of late, how long do you think that we should allow people to submit a picture?

Also how long should we leave the voting time frame be?

kokaneejr
09-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Adam,

My 2 cents is that by this weekend everyone had plenty of time to submit and most who would have already did. I think Sunday would be an appropriate time limit as people working all week would have one last chance to find that photo they have been looking for and post it. As for voting I think a week is long enough just so we don't get to bored waiting for the next contest. Don't get to frustrated with it Adam I think it will work and is a ggod idea :) Craig.

Brian that chum is beautiful.

Rob I don't know how you can bring an SLR that close to water but fantastic shot. That belongs on the cover of a fly tying mag.

jbird
09-17-2007, 03:43 PM
That sounds good to me too. Honestly, I am suprised at how few have participated. I have seen so many great shots posted here over the last couple years, I thought this contest would be a log jam of regular posters wanting to show off their fish. Thats really what this is about!

Jay

jbird
09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
On a side note...As fun as this has been for the folks who have participated, maybe the next one we could consider 2 photos per person. Just to see more stuff!! Not mandatory but only if you want to post two. Another thing that might be fun would be to have a topic that would be kind of an "assignment" Like an action photo. I know I would want to get out on the water with a buddy and take as many photos as I could to try to get some neat action shots. This is definitly the time of year to do it 8) :D

One final note... How about we make a sticky post that contained each victorious photo at the top of this section. After a few months time, we could have a pretty cool little portfolio going.

Just thinking out loud :)

Jay

Adam Grace
09-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Jay, 2 pictures sound good to me.

Guys, I just tried posting a poll with 24 submissions and the software wouldn't allow so many polls, irritating after all that work. I will send Bill and Eugene a message seeing if they can change a setting to allow more poll options.

We will vote as soon as we figure out how to use the poll system.

Gregg Machel
09-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Adam, you should be good to go now, I set it at 50 for now just in case you decide to go crazy. :)

Adam Grace
09-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks Gregg! You're the man!