PDA

View Full Version : Delta LMB - a different view

Bald-heron
09-09-2007, 05:02 PM
The past couple of weeks have been brilliant chasing the LMB - topwater. The numbers have been 25+/ day and the and the average size ( wt)has increased dramatically (guess the're porking up for winter). The water temps in the delta are varying from 79-74 degrees in the areas that I have traveled. The bite has been occuring at different times during the day and does not seem to be influenced by elevated air temps. Depending on moon, tides and habitat fished you can have a good day by selecting your times and locations to fish. The best day of the year so far was last week and the bite between 10:30AM and 3:30PM with tide incoming. The only negative is burning more gas to locate the habitat, water temp and tide combo. Also had good bites in AM and PM. The flies have been the deer hair variety with weed guards! I do not fish LMB topwater without them (see previous post). Where takes are occuring are:in, on and closely associated with the habitat (weeds,rocks,tules both green and dry (and on rare occasion out of the water on tules). When one fish exploded through a raft of dried tules it sounded like timber was falling! My point is weed guards and presentation are essential to fishing in the habitat that I TRY to explore with my flies. The only exception to the above are the KD rats, etc for fishing the mats. This a game well worth playing!!!!!!! PS Stripers are showing as well but won't be targeting them with the LMB as good as it is. (unless topwater is indicated) Gary

Hairstacker
09-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Gary, sounds like you've been having a good time out there, good for you! I agree, it's a great time to be out there. 8)

mikenewman
09-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Yep, it's a great time to be out there and waddya know... I'm off back to the UK for 2 weeks:
Bugger! Bugger! Bugger!
:( :( :(