PDA

View Full Version : Switch Rod line question

PaulC
09-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Hey Guys,
This is probably out in left field, but thought someone may have been down this road.
I've been using a Meiser 5/6/7 wt. for chasing halibut lately and am looking for a better line system.

Bob set me up with a skagit head system that he recommended for his rod.
For halibut, the fish can come in real close requiring you to strip a good portion of the belly and a loop to loop joint through the guides.
While this line system works great for swinging on a river, its not great with the fish chasing in close.

I guess the ideal would be a heavy grain integrated line with a clear tip and floating runner.
So far, the few lines I've seen like this are rated as tropic like the SA wet tip clear.
Anyone use these lines in a colder non-tropical environment?
Any other suggestions from the experts?
The grain window is 350-550.

Hope everyone is having a great labor day.
Here's a but from this weekend on a 2/0 surf candy.
-Paul

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/hali_090107.jpg

Darian
09-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi Paul,.... I have 2 tropical lines like the one you mention. Haven't used them in cool/cold water but believe that they would probably coil too much. Mine are like springs in our climate. For what it's worth, don't think I'd like to use 'em around here.... 8) 8) 8)

nrthcsteel
09-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey Darian. Im far from an expert but saw your question so did a little looking around. On the Airflo site I noticed they had a cold saltwater striper line. It looks like a shooting head style integrated line with a clear tip. May be what your looking for. Havent tried the tropicals in the cold so cant help there. For what its worth I use an airflo forty plus in the fast sink chasing bottom dwellers off the coast from a boat as well as the beach. I use a 9wt on a Meiser 8/9 switch and with two hand overhead casts it works great. You may also want to check out the rio outbounds. Not sure if they have what your looking for but I know they offer several different styles of that line so you may find one to suit your needs. Good luck. Oh yeah Nice halibut! Perfect for tacos! Looks like that Meiser is treating you well. Kevin

sculpin
09-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey Paul, nice fish. Obviously what your looking for is a line with a short heavy integrated head. Take a look at the Rio Striped bass lines. I'm pretty sure SA has some that are similar.Or cut the loops off of the line you have and splice the parts together.

Mark

nrthcsteel
09-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey PAUL got my names mixed up sorry bout that. Kevin

PaulC
09-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for the tips and no worries on the name mix up:)
I talked with Bill this morning and he had an outbound with a floating running an clear intermediate tip.

I've had fun with an integrated 400 grain sink tip for everything but halibut.
For halibut, keeping a bit off the bottom is better to avoid hitting the fish with the head in protected waters.
I'll give it a whirl when I get it as things should just get better in the next month for the fall halibut bite.
Definitely fun messing around with this two hand rod out there.
Nice talkin to ya Bill.
-Paul