PDA

View Full Version : Delta 9-02

Hairstacker
09-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Got a chance to fly fish the Delta again out of the inflatable kayak for about 3 hours this morning. Another beautiful day with only a slight breeze at most while I was out there. (The wind forecast for today was 10 - 20 mph winds. :? ) Arrrived at the bottom of the low tide so took my time getting ready:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/9-02-07Delta1.jpg

Once again, decided to fish green/yellow Dahlberg Diver frog patterns like the one I tied and fished last weekend:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/9-02-07Delta5.jpg

The fly is 3 3/4" long and that's the mouth of a 16" largemouth. I know it doesn't look it but I did tape it. Here's another photo of the same fish:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/9-02-07Delta3.jpg

Today was very much like last weekend, picking up a fish here and there but nothing hot. Most were small but I did catch a few that went 14" or better like this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/9-02-07Delta4.jpg

At one point, I had cast into the shade of a tree and let the bug sit for a moment before stripping it, which brought it up against a big patch of weeds. After another pause, I twitched it and a really nice fish (I mean really nice) just slurped it in. Unfortunately, about half way to the boat, she got unbuttoned. :cry: Ah well, so it goes.

All in all, there was once again enough topwater action to keep me focused and alert. I also did not see any other boats at all until just before I left, which was really nice. Bottom-line: I had a really good time! :D

If you can, try to make it out there, as we are now entering a really nice time of year to be out on the Delta for topwater LMBs. It's still very hot, though, so you'll probably want to get there early in the morning and beat the heat. It also tends to be much less windy in the morning and there's a good chance you'll have the place to yourself before the boats show up. In any case, the overall LMB topwater action will be outstanding this month, with a good chance of picking up topwater stripers as well. :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Seems like mornings now are best with the cooler tempts.

Great report.

JerryInLodi
09-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Mike, as you say, the morning LMB action right now is great. I missed four big fish in a row on Friday. I was hooked up to each one for different periods of time but each got away before I could get it to the boat. I ended with some fish around two pounds and lots of smaller ones.

Saturday my wife went with me. We only fished two hours. Fishing was slower than Friday and no big fish.

Today I was out really early, ended up with a two pounder and a two and a half in the first half hour and then things slowed down. I was fishing in a major traffic area so I got off the water before the crazies took over.

I'll try another favorite location tomorrow morning.

As you say, the mornings right now are incredible. Perfect temperature, no wind, quiet, no boats, beautiful sunrises. And oh yeah, the fishing is pretty good also!

mikenewman
09-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi Mike

Because I'm generally able to cherry pick my tides/days, I haven't much experience of fishing at dead low water - any tips gratefully received :thumbsup:

Cheers
Mike

Hairstacker
09-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Mike, as far as fishing "dead low water," if the water is not moving at all, I don't know what to tell you -- I haven't figured that one out, which is why I mentioned taking my time getting into the water. I usually just kind of wait it out until the water starts moving again.

Once the water starts moving again, I don't fish it much different than any other time, except that I'm mindful of the fact many areas up against the bank, tule islands, and on certain flats are just too shallow at low tide to hold any fish. However, if I can find any water depth at all, I will target many of the usual suspects: the trough between the bank and weedbeds, shady spots near trees and structure, and particularly the edge of the weed line next to shallow flats. I also keep an eye out for fish actively working -- for example, two of the 14"ers I caught Sunday were clearly chasing baitfish so I cast to the area I last noted a disturbance and employed a fast retrieve in order to generate a reaction. It worked in both instances. :D

JerryInLodi
09-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Hairstacker and Mike, man you talk about low water. I went out this morning (Tuesday) at about 7am. The water was very low and barely moving but the big thing was the wind. It was blowing 12-18mph with gusts to over 20. I ducked in and gave some of the quieter places a shot but even so, with the gusts blowing it was just too much work to hold my high sided craft in any kind of constant distance from the shore line. I was back in the berth after less than an hour.

Like you Mike, I can pick my times. No sense working so hard with conditions far from optimum.

As far as low water tactics. Most of my flies do not have weed guards since I believe I get better and more frequent hookups without them. On the really low water days I go to my hook-up flies, still no weed guards but they almost never get fouled in the weeds as long as there's a small patch of open water to cast to so they can roll over if necessary. Most of the time they land hook up anyway but it's even easier if I can find a six inch square of weedless water.

Hairstacker
09-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Jerry, man, it doesn't get much more discouraging than dead low, non-moving water coupled with high winds. :(

Interesting to hear about your hook-up flies. I tied one myself quite a while back but never got around to trying it. I hope to do so next time I'm out, as you always hear about those gear guys having 5 - 10 lb fish bust up through a solid mat to nail their frogs. :shock: I think I would enjoy some of that action! :D

David Lee
09-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Jerry, man, it doesn't get much more discouraging than dead low, non-moving water coupled with high winds. :(

Interesting to hear about your hook-up flies. I tied one myself quite a while back but never got around to trying it. I hope to do so next time I'm out, as you always hear about those gear guys having 5 - 10 lb fish bust up through a solid mat to nail their frogs. :shock: I think I would enjoy some of that action! :D

Just you wait .......... !!

I have no doubt that you'll break the 6 lb. mark this fall - hope I'm there to see it !!

David :D

Hairstacker
09-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Thanks David! I sure hope you're right! :D