PDA

View Full Version : Skagit and Switch rod info.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-31-2007, 08:55 AM
I had a nice long phone conversation with Mike McCune, who is a Skagit guide and instructor up in Oregon/Washington and who also grew up at my fly shop here in Sacramento many years ago. Mike has been a full time guide in Alaska, Washington and Oregon for over 20 years now.

I like to ask a lot of questions when I get around someone who really knows what's going on in a particular area of this sport.

Mike and his sidekick Scott O'Donnell are on the Rio and Sage Pro Staff as consultants in the Skagit/Northwest area. __________________________________________________ _________

Skagit or Northwest style of two-handed casting/fishing was developed in the Northwest by two-handed Steelheaders who needed a system that was conducive to throwing bigger flies on heavier fast sinking tips for Steelhead. The Skagit lines are very short and very heavy being large in diameter. Mike says it's just throwing shooting heads on two-handed rods.

__________________________________________________ _________

Switch rods are shorter (~11') two-handed fly rods that are designed for both single handed and two-handed casting/fishing.

__________________________________________________ __________

On average, Spey line head length is relative to the length of the two-handed rod being used.

Normally short rods mean shorter lines/heads and longer rods mean longer heads.

A short Spey rod is around 12'. Medium is 13-14 feet. Long is over 14' for most.

Mike says that there are lots of good rods out there for Skagit casting/fishing, you just have to get the right line on them at the get go. Mike says that most just don't get enough line weight on the rods to let them do the work.

__________________________________________________ _______

I asked Mike about reels as far as two-handed casting/fishing goes?

He said "go bigger and heavier" because reels today are so light they do not balance well on the longer rods.

You can add weight to you two-handed outfit in several ways so the tip is slightly uphill when you are fully rigged and standing in the water with some line out.

I am sure everyone who has some experience in two-handed casting has some personal preferences on rod balance but I am just trying to get info out to the newer crowd to give them some info that might help them.

Going bigger is important especially if you have longer style full floating Spey lines just for capacity alone.

I asked Mike to tell me what Skagit lines he is putting on the new Sage Switch rods because I know he is pretty wild about them.

He has fished the 5, 6, 7 and 8 weight extensively this summer.

On the 11' #5 he said to use the #10/11/12 (378 x 24') Windcutter main body with integrated running line. This works on the Sage '5120' Spey rod too. We carry these in stock thanks to Mike's advise.

On the 11' #6 he takes a 550 Skagit head and cuts off the front (leader end) till he gets it down to 440 grains. This works on the Sage '6126' Spey rod too.

On the 11' #7 weight he takes a 600 Skagit line and cuts it to 485.

On the 11' #8 weight he takes a 650 Skagit head and cuts it to 525.

We cast Doug Duncan's 11' #8 Sage Switch rod with a CND #5/6 line and it was great too.

I think most of these Skagit lines (heads) end up at about something around 22' after you cut about 5 feet off? The grain weight is probably more critical than length though. We have a digital scale at the shop if you need any help and we can put on a good custom braided loops as well.

Mike likes to use the new Monic shooting lines now behind Rio Skagit heads or lines with the original running line cut off.

Yes, we do carry all these lines and many more.
__________________________________________________ ______

Rio Skagit 'lines' come in many sizes but Skagit 'heads' (without running lines or tip) on come in only 450, 550, 650 and 750 grain.

Skagit lines with integrated running line come in 350, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 650 , 700 and 750. When Mike uses these he removes the running line, loops the back end and uses the new Monic shooting line. He likes the smaller .024" for light rods and the .030" for larger rods. He thinks most might be better with the .030" for everything. It's pretty small diameter at .030".

Mike will be at Watt Avenue September 8th, Saturday putting on a Skagit demo for us and answering questions concerning Skagit in general.

Mike and Scott O'Donnell are now guiding/teaching year round in Oregon and Washington for Steelhead where they guide and teach you daily in the Skagit style of two-handed world.

I was fortunate to have been able to get into a week with Rick Jorgensen in the Fall of 2005 where we floated and camped four days on the Lower Grand Ronde River for Steelhead. Mike had me 'Skagit' casting the first day. It is like 'Skagit boot camp' with those guys. You will learn fast.

__________________________________________________ _______

I think the two most important things in getting into the two-handed world are having a knowledgeable person help you put together a 'balanced outfit' that is best suited to where you want to fish.

__________________________________________________ ______

Secondly is to get some instruction right off the bat.

Locally we are lucky to have Jeff Putnam who can help you with all this.

http://jpflyfishing.com/index.htm

Geno Bernero and John Hazlett are teaching Spey casting/fishing while they are guiding you in Nor Cal and southern Oregon.

http://www.confluenceoutfitters.com/default.aspx

Mike McCune and Scott O'Donnell are teach/guiding further up in Oregon and Washington all year long now.

http://www.speywater.com/

Most all our staff is fishing two-handed now so feel free to come in or call the shop 7 days a week for any help.

We have the largest inventory of two-handed books, DVDs, rods, reels an lines in California.

We have one of the best selections of Steelhead flies.

Rick J
08-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Bill,
Great summary - it reminded me of a post awhile back on the Spey Pages about skagit systems for single handed rods - for those interested see link below

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=24515

Digger
09-06-2007, 10:33 PM
I am so far behind knowledge-wise on this subject and even farther in practice. I wish I could be there this Saturday, but can't.
Thanks for all this info.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-10-2007, 08:52 AM
The Sage Switch rods were very hot at our Spey event last Saturday.