PDA

View Full Version : Skeena River Report

Anne Vitale
08-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I spent last week on an unnamed island in the middle of British Columbia’s Skeena River. My only time away from the island was a day trip to fish the near by Copper River. That meant I ad 5 full days where in I could fish until I dropped.... if I was dumb enough to do it. However, there was no way I could fish that much. My right arm and shoulder were painfully sore as early as the middle of my second day on the island. Too many large salmon....chrome bright coho, sockeye, and pinks. Mixed in were a sprinkle of steelhead and a chinook or two. I have only had 3 confirmed chinook hookups in my life. One on the Feather River, a couple of years ago, that I got to hand and the other two on the Skeena last week. All three left me with knuckles too sore to use my hands effectively for hours. I hate chinook hookups. :?

The trip was hosted by Jeff Bright through the Nicholas Dean Lodge out of Terrace. Jeff just got us there but it was Dustin Kovacvich and his crew that set up the camp, cooked the meals and handled the landing of the fish.

The spring snow run off had left the Skeena high and off color. That didn’t seem to matter much because as the river dropped noticeably each day, we caught fish consistently. The secret fly was simply a nuber 4, R90 hook wrapped with pink or red chenille and a wing of red or pink marabou. Some folks went fancier but that was more for them then the fish.

As it turned out there was a strong run of coho and pink salmon this year and not many steelhead. In a whole week I only had one steelhead on and none to hand. The one steelhead I saw caught was 41 inches long and 20 inches around. That comes to 22 lbs on most charts. I heard tell of a smaller one caught by Jeff but didn’t see it.

The big coho more then made up for the absence of steelhead. They were not only plentiful, they were tough acrobatic fish that ran 10 to 15 lb.. When you combine that with fresh tough less acrobatic sockeye almost as big, it was a week to remember.

I don’t have any pictures of fish to share just yet (I’m waiting for my friends to send me them):roll: but here are a few shots to give you some idea of the place. The camp was called Hell’s Gate Camp because it was on the Hell’s Gate section of the river.
Here is a shot of the mountains flying into Terrace from Vancouver. The pilot said we were at 23, 000 ft. http://www.avitale.com/BCGlasiers.JPG

Here is a shot of the camp
http://www.avitale.com/HGCamp.jpg

Although you can't tell from this shot, the section of the Skeena seen here is about 200 yards wide and only a side channel to the main stem. This shot was taken from camp and is the gravel bar we did most of our fishing from. It ran for about a half mile up river as well.

http://www.avitale.com/HGGravelBar.jpg

A shot of Dustin holding court after lunch
http://www.avitale.com/EatingLunch.jpg

Rick J
08-31-2007, 06:03 AM
Hi Ann - great report - those guys are simply top notch! Did they bring Ruger along?

Bruce Slightom and I were up this spring and had a great trip - not a lot of steelhead but enough to make it interesting and it is so much more than just hooking fish!

Was Sky one of the guides with your group? He is such a class act and I have never met anyone with so much fish sense!!

Terry Thomas
08-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Ann,
Thanks for the report. Perhaps it's not an issue of lack of steelhead, rather far more pinks in the system that beat any steelhead to the fly. Let's hope that is the answer. I guess we will know in a few weeks.
T.

Adam Grace
08-31-2007, 08:30 AM
Nice report Ann, catching other fun fish like that sounded like fun.

Anne Vitale
08-31-2007, 06:51 PM
HI all....although we didn't get many steelhead, Dustin seemed to think that the slow catching was due mostly to the fish waiting to come into the system until the water level returned to normal. The flooding in June was incredible. :shock: There were piles of trees on many of the bars 10 to 15 feet high, a half mile long and I don't know how deep the piles ran. Most of them had been healthy growing trees only a few months ago. The havoc the floods had wroth were also evident in the fresh cut banks with trees hanging out over the river everywhere.

Terry....I think you may have a point in blaming the pinks. We really did have to fish around them. It seems like the pinks liked the inside of the run. If we let the fly swing too close to the shore before picking up, a pink would hit and we would have to spend the next 10 to 15 minutes dealing with it. In some cases longer if it was foul hooked. It sounds like you are going up there soon.

Rick...Dustin commuted each day from the lodge. He usually got there at 7:00 am and left with just enough daylight to find his way back. Although Dustin invited him along each day, apparently Ruger had a mind of his own and only came out 3 or 4 times. He is quite the dog, all 120 lbs of him.

I didn't see Sky this time but I understand he is still with the lodge. When I asked about him, Dustin told me that since the lodge had a full house for the week, he was assigned to guide for the guest there.

Anne

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-31-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks Anne for sharing your exciting trip with us.

Great report and inspiring photos.

Trips like this are far more than just catching fish.

I really have learned a lot from just listening to Dustin talk about his fishing at my shop.

k.hanley
09-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Well done Annie. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing the experience.
Cheers, K

Loren E
09-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Anne, sounds like an awesome trip!

Loren E
09-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Anne, sounds like an awesome trip!

PatrickM
09-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Anne,
Thanks for the report. Looks like a great trip.
Any word on what flies you were using up there? I'm heading up there at the end of October and need to start tying soon, but I'm not sure what flies to work on.
Thanks.