PDA

View Full Version : Dove opener

Charlie Gonzales
08-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Anyone else hunting this weekend? I will be at Graylodge fighting the crowds.

mark
08-30-2007, 09:10 AM
I will be hunting vineyards around Lodi.

With the heat, the birds are still around in pretty good numbers.

Good luck on the opener.

-MK

MrBig
08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Hunting? WTF? :cry: I don't think you can catch and release doing that.

gryhackl
08-30-2007, 03:29 PM
I've got a new 28 ga. double that's just begging to get out there but I'm stuck inside with a gimpy foot, otherwise I'd be there with you guys. Good hunting!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Veteran Dove hunter Chuck Campana says he was north of town scouting this week and it looks like the best year he has seen in a long time.

Adam Grace
08-30-2007, 10:25 PM
How many Doves does it take to make a meal for one person? 2-3? What's the limit?

101fish
08-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Limit is 10 per day. No more than 2 days in possession. They are really good when bbq'ed wrapped in bacon and served with a side of rabbit. I will be out for my first opener down in the San Diego desert. Should be a lot of fun. Hoping to find some decent turkey and waterfowl hunting when I get back to school later in the year too. Just got done breaking in my new gun.

gryhackl
08-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Dove are pretty small so when I clean them I just pop out the breasts with out skins and cook them casserole style with rice and sharp chedder cheese. The sharp chedder counters any gamey flavor they sometimes have. Big eaters are gonna need more than three breasts each.

Charlie Gonzales
08-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Dont worry MrBig, the way I shoot its better than catch & release :D :D

Rob
09-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Cody and i went out for a hr this morning , had a few shots ( TO FAR AWAY ) . Going out again tonight to see if we can get a few Doves.
The temp is going to drop 20 deg next week , so the doves may move south.

Muzzle loader deer and Elk season just around the corner and also pheasant , Chukar , Grouse and duck !!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Got a browning BPS last fall !!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Hunting%20ducks/smallpix.jpg

dtp916
09-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Dove, huh?

I want to hunt pigs with my dog, but I know he'd get torn up. Plus I'd need another pack of them....

Rob
09-02-2007, 10:46 AM
We only shot 4 last night , but will be going out early Monday morning and see what happens at sunrise . We will be sitting at the edge of a waterhole .

Rob
09-04-2007, 07:42 AM
We shot 11 last night . :D

Charlie , any good recipes ??

Adam Grace
09-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Rob, if anyone has good recipes it's Charlie! That man is a great cook, a chef in fact. Charlie used to be a chef for a while. I've had some of his food, it's to die for. You should see him chop up vegetables and stuff, he is just as fast or faster than those tv chefs. Charlie is a very talented individual!

Rob
09-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Rob, if anyone has good recipes it's Charlie! That man is a great cook, a chef in fact. Charlie used to be a chef for a while. I've had some of his food, it's to die for. You should see him chop up vegetables and stuff, he is just as fast or faster than those tv chefs. Charlie is a very talented individual!

I remember talking to him about being a chief when he was one of the Kiene clan .

I had some really fun times talking with all you guys at the shop. :D

Cody has a receipt i think will try , You marinate the dove breasts in italian salad dressing and then cut them in half , put a slice jalapeno in the middle , then wrap them with bacon . :D