PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee trolling flies

Flycanoe
08-28-2007, 01:14 PM
This year, I tried something completely new. I designed, tied and fished my own kokanee trolling flies instead of using conventional gear.

The seasons over for me now that school and fall sports have started, so I thought I'd report on the results. Also kind of wondering if anybody else has done anything like this.

My method of fishing is the same as conventional gear in that I am trolling with a downrigger and using a dodger to give the fly action, but I am using a fly rod/reel combo with mono running line with my flies. Bascially, it's just my shooting line setup with a sinking head, dodger and fly on the end.

My flies are based on the wooly bugger pattern in colors that match the most popular kokanee lures of pink and charteuse.

The first picture shows my first attempt at a kokanee trolling fly and the dodger I used with it.

My son and I fished it at New Melones Memorial weekend and did fairly well. Landed 3 fish up to 13", with 4 more hookups that came unbuttoned, 2 right at the net.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/ldorius/steelhead%20flies/Tied%20Flies/kokeflyflpink2.jpg

Decided to add a 2nd hook to the fly as Kokanee mouths are really soft making them difficult to land. So I came up with this 2nd version of the fly that I call the double bugger with 2 hooks.

My son and I fished this new version 2 weeks ago and did fairly well again. Landed 3 kokanee to 15" from the only 3 hookups we got, so we lost none. My son really had a blast fighting a 15" kokanee on a 5wt fly rod.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/ldorius/steelhead%20flies/Tied%20Flies/IMG_2136.jpg

So overall, I pretty happy with the results so far and now starting to think up ways to improve the fly for next year.

jbird
08-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Thats cool! I would use it for trolling ocean coho in the propwash too. This is a very popular technique on the north coast. Once fish are located, drop a couple flies 20' behind the boat in the prop wash and hang on.
Have a couple of those in your flybox when youre swinging for winter steelhead also.

Jay

Flycanoe
08-29-2007, 09:06 AM
You think they will work for steelhead, huh.

Well, maybe I'll add a beadhead and give it a try.

Mike O
09-10-2007, 12:21 PM
those bugger-type flies really do a good job of holding whatever juice-attractor you want to use. :lol: :twisted: :evil: