PDA

View Full Version : When Its Hot it's Hot!!!!

Bald-heron
08-24-2007, 03:20 PM
The top water Game on the Delta is definetly worth playing even in the middle of the day! My last 2 trips this week had my best bite between 11AM and 2:30PM. Evenings also good but not unusual for the Delta. Bugs presented in the those deep dark holes produced a VERY high percentage of the time. If you thought a fish was there - it was. The important point is that the fish are eating and with gusto in the middle of the day with temps aroung 95-100 - breeze up to 15 OK. Just dress appropriately and plenty of gator-ade and it works fine. Fish the habitat and presentation a necessity! Then you can get that final adrenalin rush as the daylight wains. Gary

mikenewman
08-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi Gary,

Haven't seen you out there recently - thought maybe you'd taken up golf! :)
Great to hear you are winkling 'em out of their caves, even at high noon - accuracy and an effective weedguard are pretty much the order of the day, don't you reckon?
Good to hear from you.

Cheers
Mike

Bald-heron
08-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi Mike
Well I've pretty much retired as of 7-2-07 and my 1st priority was to build a fence (20 acres). Now trying to get re-connected to the Delta - hope to be out there twice a week at least. You are absolutely correct about the weed guards and accuracy! I've gone to epoxy to attach the weed guards to the hooks and glue at the eye and this seems to hold up pretty well. Another item is a book ring to dry the bugs after use. This doesn't knock the guards "cock-eyed". If you have a suggestion keeping the guards in place - let me know. Accuracy - at times a lesson in frustration, but sooooo rewarding when you get right! Look forward to seeing you out there. Gary

mikenewman
08-25-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm always experimenting with weedguards :roll: Had a phase earlier this year when I went over entirely to wire (as recommended by Lee s) Indeed I tied one with a guitar string that was totally snag proof! Only problem was it was totally fish proof too. :lol: Now I'm back to 25lb Mason and I tie half way around the bend. (some of the books/sites that recommend lesser mono and to tie "just around the bend" obviously have never fished the Delta!)
Not sure I understand what you mean by:

I've gone to epoxy to attach the weed guards to the hooks and glue at the eye

Grateful if you could elaborate.

Cheers
Mike

Jay Murakoshi
08-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Hey Mike

Just curious.... On that fly you tied with the wire, you mentioned that you were totally fishless with the wire. Was it because the fish weren't eating or were you missing them.
I wouldn't think the wire would turn them off. Look at some of the bass jigs, especially that one with the short stubby brisle weed guard. You can hardly push down the guard but they still hook into fish. Sometimes I use a 30lb hard mason weed guard and had 7" bass get hooked up.
The guitar strings make pretty good frog legs, especially the "G" string

Jay :D

mikenewman
08-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Jay

I should have explained it better. I tied up a few bugs with a .013 trace wire guard and a couple with a .012 bronzed steel guitar string. Both worked as well as Mason but occasionally the guard would spring open when the bug was cast hard into the tullies and the retrieve would be ruined. So now I've reverted to Mason 25lb, though I have considered experimenting with heavier.
I did tie up one bug with a heavier gauge wire. It was completely snagproof (You could cast it anywhere and rip it back) and just as attractive to the fish but after failing to hook three consecutive, decent fish I decided it was also fishproof. (I was feeling the solid weight of the fish but the bug was coming back with the guard still unsprung :( ) Obviously a guard of any kind is always going to be a compromise between fishability and hookability.
I've also just received a couple of packets of these "Stickguards" but haven't done anything with them yet:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=1997&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Cheers
Mike

Bald-heron
08-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Mike:
I use mono from 25lb to 40lb and wrap with kevlar half way( depending on hook style may be more or less) around the bend. Then use 5 minute epoxy as the adhering agent. Make a dozen or so at a time and let dry. This way I have the weed guards pre-tied when tying the bugs. At the final step when attaching the mono to the eye or thru the eye depending - I trim a grove in the hair to give a more natural place for the mono to marry to the eye. Then flexament the first 1/8" behind the eye. Using epoxy on the bend makes that portion very stable. Using a line guide or other "keeper" on the rod ruins the alinement of the guards. Also sticking the fly in foam or other material results in exaberating the problem. This is why the 4# book ring is used to dry the flies after use - not foam. But still looking for the perfect solution. If the guard is off just a little the fly is useless IMO. I'd like hear more from you and Jay on the G-String maybe the odor could be an attractant. Gary

mikenewman
08-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks Gary: That's pretty much my technique except I've been using Krazy Glue rather than epoxy and just push the mono into the hair rather than trim a groove. I'm gonna try it your way :)
I always reel the bug all the way to the tip ring to avoid the need for the keeper ring. (It also prevents getting a kink in the line 'cos I always carry my rods rigged in the SUV)
As for the other matter, I'm afraid it's been many a year since I last fooled around with a G String...

Cheers
Mike

Bald-heron
08-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Mike:
Many thanks for the tips - if you find a better "mouse trap" for the guards please let me know. Hope to see you out there. Gary